Filling hollow plastic stock for sound deadening?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anybody done this, a stock like what's on the Ruger American rifles, or Savage stuff?

I'm not looking to necessarily add weight, but dont mind if it adds a little. I see posts about expanding foam, and others using pourable silicone.

Some say it works great to get rid of the scratchy hollow sound, others say it doesnt. So who has personal experience here?

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done it with plastic walmart sacks. Just stuffed them full. Helps some. I would assume an epoxy or foam would be 10 times better.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Mossberg 702 that I filled the buttstock with spray foam. Worked like a charm. Made the stock more ridged and got rid of the hollow sound. I filled it about 8 years ago. Still have the rifle, the stock still sounds solid.

Edit: I used the Great Stuff foam in a can btw.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has a Mossberg 702 as well,,,
He filled it with Airsoft pellets and spray glue.

He sprayed some glue inside then added some pellets,,,
This was repeated many times to ensure the glue coverage was effective.

His 702 feels radically different than mine,,,
Not that it feels "wrong" or anything,,,
Just very different.

I believe I'll leave mine alone.

Aarond

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy has a Mossberg 702 as well,,,
He filled it with Airsoft pellets and spray glue.

He sprayed some glue inside then added some pellets,,,
This was repeated many times to ensure the glue coverage was effective.

His 702 feels radically different than mine,,,
Not that it feels "wrong" or anything,,,
Just very different.

I believe I'll leave mine alone.

Aarond

I can attest to that. My 702 went from feeling like a cheap toy to feeling solid like a legit rifle.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I woke up this morning with a wild hair to tackle this project and learned a few things in the process...and ended up settling (for now) with stuffing the cavity with plastic bags.

This mornings lessons:
I knew gasoline would melt styrofoam...and I've done so in the past and you can "play" with the stuff and squeeze excess gasoline out and its rubbery, or let it absorb more and its more fluid/fluffy. Leave it be and it'll eventually evaporate.
My thought was, acetone would evaporate quicker...so melted some down with acetone and that is a whole different mess. You cannot manipulate this stuff like the gasoline stuff...it is STICKY. People say both are basically napalm which I fully believe, but the acetone stuff is a whole different ballgame which promptly got thrown away and took some good cleaning to get off my hands. At that point I decided to abort mission and use the plastic bags. I may fill it with foam later but for the time being the plastic did pretty much what I wanted and has zero risk of making a mess.

Latest posts

Top Bottom