Film Question--What is significance of 4 nuns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need some help from the brain trust here...

A long time ago, I took a course that involved watching some films and discussing them at length.

One of the things that was brought up, and that I see repeated in many films is the presence of four nuns walking across a scene.

I can't remember all of the films that I have seen this in, but two that come to mind are "Death Wish" (Original) and "Band of Brothers".

Does anyone know the significance of having the four nuns walk across the camera/scene?

Thanks
Dave

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sounds suspiciously like something that has great significance attached to it by a fine arts major, but is really just the result of some practical limitation (like the budget only had enough money for four nun outfits), but it happened early enough in Hollyweird history that it just became the way things were done...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need some help from the brain trust here...

A long time ago, I took a course that involved watching some films and discussing them at length.

One of the things that was brought up, and that I see repeated in many films is the presence of four nuns walking across a scene.

I can't remember all of the films that I have seen this in, but two that come to mind are "Death Wish" (Original) and "Band of Brothers".

Does anyone know the significance of having the four nuns walk across the camera/scene?

Thanks
Dave

Why is it that people drinking coffee on TV always use two hands on the coffee mug? Inquiring minds......

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds suspiciously like something that has great significance attached to it by a fine arts major, but is really just the result of some practical limitation (like the budget only had enough money for four nun outfits), but it happened early enough in Hollyweird history that it just became the way things were done...

I distinctly remember the discussion just not the reason/significance behind the 4 nuns.
It's been more than a few years since I was in college so the mind hazes over at times.
It's just that when I see the 4 nuns in a movie, I keep wracking my brain of the significance.
I have googled it multiple times with no success.

Dave

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It reminds me of Lilies of the Field (1963)

1963-Lilies-of-the-Field-02.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I distinctly remember the discussion just not the reason/significance behind the 4 nuns.
It's been more than a few years since I was in college so the mind hazes over at times.
It's just that when I see the 4 nuns in a movie, I keep wracking my brain of the significance.
I have googled it multiple times with no success.

Dave
I tried searching for it, too, with no useful results.

I hope you find your answer. It just reminded me of some of those conversations in college (I would say particularly in philosophy classes, but I thought back then that they were a phenomenal waste of my time) that seemed really deep at the time, but in hindsight seem more like Slater's monologue about George Washington, aliens, and pot in Dazed and Confused...

Latest posts

Top Bottom