Filming hunts advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying to video some of my coyote hunts, and maybe the kids' deer hunts too. I'm fairly certain that most of the time, the coyote hunts will be way harder to get done than the deer hunts, being "faster action" and all, so I'm looking for equipment advice. Would a gun mounted camera be easier thsn one that is separate, thus requiring separate work? As far as a weapon mounted camera, has anyone used one of the Tactacam's with good success? The problem I foresee is needing decent zoom when the coyote pops out at 300 yards, and being able to quickly adjust when it reappears at 75 yards LOL. Anyone with advice or experience would be appreciated.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a professional looking hunt I would say you need another person and at least two cameras one of which being gun mounted.
I would also carry along extra memory, batteries and a means to recharge. I would invest in a separate mic and windsock. Just thinking out loud.
There is a fellow on here that does his own and has several pig hunts posted here just cannot remember who.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about trying to video some of my coyote hunts, and maybe the kids' deer hunts too. I'm fairly certain that most of the time, the coyote hunts will be way harder to get done than the deer hunts, being "faster action" and all, so I'm looking for equipment advice. Would a gun mounted camera be easier thsn one that is separate, thus requiring separate work? As far as a weapon mounted camera, has anyone used one of the Tactacam's with good success? The problem I foresee is needing decent zoom when the coyote pops out at 300 yards, and being able to quickly adjust when it reappears at 75 yards LOL. Anyone with advice or experience would be appreciated.

I self film when I am the one hunting and I video my 2 sons when they hunt during rifle season. Self filming is definitely a challenge. You want to get good clear video with the game in frame, good audio, and a second camera showing you taking the shot if possible. It's taken me a while to get decent at it, but I'm definitely not an expert. I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ300 with a Rode VideoMicro mic. It's a picture camera, but it records good video and best of all it has a 25-600mm lens so it will zoom in quite a bit for the longer shots. I also use a gopro 3+ silver for rear facing shots. I will either mount it on my tripod facing back towards me or I will mount it on my bow or rifle facing me with a gopro sportsman mount. I had a fairly cheap JVC camcorder that I used several years ago before I got the Lumix and it worked pretty good for closer/in the woods type videos, but it didn't do to well in low light. I recently bought a Canon Vixia HF G20 video camera that I plan to try out this season and its supposed to be pretty good in those low light conditions. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to answer them the best I can, but like I said, Im no expert. Ive just tried to figure things out the best I could over the past few years and sometimes I get lucky with some good footage. lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom