Finally going to start reloading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the portable I have made and used often.

The outrigger legs have notches in them as does the middle.
I have a piece of flat steel I welded uprights on that flat steel to hold the plywood secure.
This keeps the legs from kicking out and keeps the middle plywood secured in place.

You could do the same with wood or just build it so it does not fold up.

View attachment 241412
This is a great idea as having a foldable bench that can be setup at the range to test different loads would be incredibly valuable. Looking a the picture I am struggling to see how it works.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine in Norman who has limited space put this together, and he mainly loads 357/38 on it. Seems to work well for him.

View attachment 241431
That’s what I was going to suggest. I have one of these black and decker workmates and it is solid when you get it setup. the problem is is a little too low. You almost need to kneel down or get a stool 16” tall to sit on while you use it.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For rifle and pistol loading, I have an old second hand RCBS RockChucker to deprime, but for the rest of the reloading process, I use hand tools. I have 3 or 4 RCBS hand priming tools, and I use Lee hand presses to seat bullets and crimp. I think I have at least 8 hand presses, so I can leave them set up for different calibers. I have a couple electric scales, but for most of my loads, I use Lee dippers. It’s not real scientific, but my ammo is extremely accurate and consistent.
I lost my shooting buddy in September to a sudden aneurysm, but he was always amazed that my cobbled together ammo would shoot so well. :anyone:

I say all that to say if I have deprimed cases I can actually load ammo anywhere.
Very creative and totally contrary to the progressive press concept. I hope the Guy that perfected the Dillon progressive presses is not flipping over in his grave right now.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reloaded out of a small coat closet for a few years. Made a little bench on casters that I could fit in the closet and roll over to the couch when I was ready to do some reloading. Had about 50 pounds of lead in the bottom of it for weight and mounted a press on front and the back. If I were to do it again the only thing I would change is the height (you'd rather reach up than be hunched over) and I would use the same grid layout that I use on my bench to mount different presses. That way it would be a true mobile extension piece of my bench.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very creative and totally contrary to the progressive press concept. I hope the Guy that perfected the Dillon progressive presses is not flipping over in his grave right now.
I actually have a Dillon 650 for high volume rounds like 45 acp, 9mm, and 223, but for 38, 357, 44, and my hunting calibers, it’s a slow, one at a time process. :anyone:

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reloading in the living space presents a few challenges

1 you should do it on a hard smooth sweepable surface.
Spilled powder should be swept not vacuumed. The sparks from the motor in the vacuum are an ignition risk
shot, if you load for a shotgun, and primers are also an issue if vacuuming. The small heavy bits are hell on the vacuum as the go through

2 distractions are to be avoided when reloading. Double charge a case and all the benefits go up in smoke. No spouse, kids, or pets demanding attention during this activity.

3. Portable vs fixed bench
Bench design is very personal and it needs to fit you and your needs
Get the height right or your back will ache
Make it stout enough your not fighting it every time you pull the handle
components and equipment should be easy to access and see

too small or cramped and you spill stuff everywhere

reloading is fussy and involves a lot of small bits. Good lighting is a must

4 accessibility
Yes you need to secure the components against unwanted access. The degree of need varies by household and maturity of the occupants.

I know folks that do it inside, and the components are best stored in a climate controlled space.

nothing wrong with portable or collapsing reloading rigs. I have a bench that mounts to a receiver hitch on a truck. Comes in handy when I am working on a load, especially if the cases are rare and dear.

safety first

Creature comforts a close second or you will get frustrated and stop doing it

Latest posts

Top Bottom