Finally gonna get my truck back... hopefully.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the drama surrounding my poor Tahoe... ugh.

Got a new motor (reman) supposed to ship today. I am moving up from the 5.3L to the 6.0L LQ9. A few more ponies. Here's my motor:

i-nMbjrc9-X2.jpg

i-QVJTRBz-X2.jpg

i-Ld2KSHc-X2.jpg

Trans has been rebuilt with upgraded internals, as well. So my 275k-mile Tahoe will have an all new powertrain, also probably going to replace the AC compressor and dryer, flush the system all at the same time. Since I'm going to keep this truck quite a while longer, I am going to put some effort into fixing up the little things - some interior panels and clips, etc.

It's been since Dec 31st when I blew my head gasket, so I'm definitely looking forward to having my baby back and being able to stretch out a little. I like my 370Z, but it's not something I like for a daily driver. Luckily I don't go far in it most of the time, but the Tahoe is definitely more comfortable. :D

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What year is the Tahoe? How much do you think the rebuild and swap will cost overall? My 05 Yukon XL is just way too weak for it's weight class and a 6.0 and upgraded trans are on the long term project list

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to like the LQ. I don't know how it reacts with all the emission controls, but we ran a stroked version in an off road buggy. That thing was ridiculous. Just wish the lower end didn't decide to go on vacation in the middle of qualifying.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have raced against many 5.3 LS powered cars and trucks and have driven a couple of them and they are not
well equipped in the Torque department.

I have raced against a 6.0 LQ9 in stock (carbed) and tweaked with Ported heads /cam/rocker upgrade.

I will say the 6.0 LQ9 actually impressed me, finally an LS worthy of truck duty.

I think you will be impressed.
I had old Datsun Z cars from the 240 to the 280 and I loved daily driving them.
Very comfy.
Everything was set up just right so you would not get arm fatigue or leg fatigue.

The one I drove the most was a 1981 280ZX with a 240 engine. Ported head and excellent cam that would pull to 8000 RPM
Cartec 4 barrel intake with 4 barrel carb and headers.
Busted two 5 speeds and one 4 speed and the last 4 speed i stuck in it lived.
That car had over 300,000 hard miles on it.
Finally busted the rear end.

I liked those cars but I was hard on parts. That engine was anyway.

When they went to V6 engines in the Z cars I developed disgust for them.
No reason for a V6 when you have a bullet proof inline 6.

I love the body style of the 350 and 370Z though.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
What year is the Tahoe? How much do you think the rebuild and swap will cost overall? My 05 Yukon XL is just way too weak for it's weight class and a 6.0 and upgraded trans are on the long term project list

The motor was 2850 delivered, with programming of my computer. I got it from a guy up in Maine, Bog Brook Automotive. Mine is a basically bone stock 6.0L, so it was a little cheaper than some of what they sell on Ebay and such. They do a lot of souped up stuff, as well.

Oh, and mine's a 2004.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The motor was 2850 delivered, with programming of my computer. I got it from a guy up in Maine, Bog Brook Automotive. Mine is a basically bone stock 6.0L, so it was a little cheaper than some of what they sell on Ebay and such. They do a lot of souped up stuff, as well.

Oh, and mine's a 2004.

I had an '03 Silverado SS with the 6.0L in it, great motor, lots of power. I had the ECM reflashed by a guy that did a lot of performance tunes on them. It was pretty remarkable the difference. The SS was AWD, launches were crazy, 1st to 2nd shift was nothing less than violent... :)

I had my way with a lot of JDM Tuned cars, while they were spinning their tires I was pulling away. Some of them could eventually catch me though. Surprised them that a 6000lb brick performed like that.

I eventually got rid of it before I incurred some major tickets, and that GM AWD system was prone to failures and I didn't want to cover the cost.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a 2001 2500HD 4x4 with the 6.0. It was quite the motor, especially compared to previous motors I was use to. I pulled a loaded 12,000 lbs. trailer a couple times. Hearing that 6.0 hitting 5,500 rpms pulling hills at 75 mph would make me a little nervous. I still couldn’t keep up with the Cummins the other guys used to pull their off-road rigs. I tried once and when I refilled, I averaged 7 mpg.
It was a great motor and never had an issue with it.

superlift3qj1-jpg.113319

Latest posts

Top Bottom