Finally got to shoot the 458

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few months (or more) back, I bought a 458 SOCOM upper from @dlbleak and assembled it. I took it out a couple months ago and shot it a couple of times but literally just for a function test.

Today I finally got to take it to the range and put a few (expensive) rounds down range through it. I put a Rikon 1-4x scope on it on Burris PEPR mount. I had used a laser bore sighter to set it up initially, but that was only at about 25 yards (as far as I could go in my back yard). So, my first shot was right at a foot low at 100 yards. In fact, at first I thought that I missed altogether. Before I made my next shot I just happened to notice it right there on the lower target perfectly centered left to right. So, I adjusted my scope and my next shot was right at the bottom of the correct target. One more adjustment and it was dead on.

I had read a lot of bad info about 458s that aren't Tromix, but I had absolutely no issues with this one. Very happy with the results and hoping to take a deer with it during rifle season.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like my 450 Bushmaster. The big bore ARs are fun (but expensive) to shoot.

Might take it out during rifle season to see what can get a shot at this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've had a couple over the last dozen years, they're fun to shoot for sure. The 300gr ballistic tips work well on deer too, as do the 325 Flex tips.

This frontal shot on this does heart left it in 5 pieces iirc.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you like it Kelly. It’s a thumper for sure.

Yeah it is. Almost needed to double up on ear pro when shooting it. Luckily I bought a stock that was suggested on here (Adaptive Tactical EX Performance) that just eats up the recoil. Honestly didn't have much more felt recoil than a standard AR with it on there. If the ammo wasn't so expensive, it could be a lot of fun to go out and shoot up a bunch of watermelons just to see them turn into pink mist. :-)

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats, man! Now mount up a suppressor on the end! Seriously, so much more fun to shoot the 458 suppressed...

Latest posts

Top Bottom