Finally powder coated 45acp loaded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been neglecting my 45acp and finally got around to loading some powder coated lead bullets I cast and baked quite a long time ago.
I will be trying my standby load 4.2gr bullseye and I will also try a couple other powder weights.
200gr LSWC powder coated with HF red in Mixed cases.

powder coated 45 001.JPG

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been considering powder coating my cast bullets instead of lubing them. Swampratt - Would you walk us through the materials and process that you use?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
" ... powder coating cast bullets instead of lubing them."

Yep. That's the whole point. I've done both. Hate lubing bullets. @swampratt walked me through the process, and it's a piece of cake. Ironically, I just loaded and shot some of this exact same bullet a couple of weeks ago. I didn't put them on target, just checked function. I was using a light load and wanted to be sure it would cycle my 1911!
45ACP P.C..jpg

Those bullets are some that swampratt cast and coated while he was showing me how to do it. Functioned fine, so I came home and loaded up fifty rounds. Now it's time to put them on paper!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a purpose for the powder coating.
I have 2 Hi-Point 45acp pistols ..pretty accurate. and a 357 Magnum pistol Very accurate.
If I shoot kind of rapid fire I will get leading no matter what lube I use or what alloy I mix up or what velocity I shoot the bullets.

Rapid fire just leads up my barrels.
Like most people I do not like cleaning.. especially lead.
AND NO shooting jacketed bullets through the bore after shooting lead does not clean out the lead.
I hear it does but not in my guns.
I also shoot some cast in 30-06 and 30-30 but no leading issues there as i do not rapid fire those.

Even if I did not rapid fire the lead slowly builds up.. Yes bullets are sized accordingly.
50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar will clean the lead out.
3 minute soak then brush and swab then another 3 minute soak..The solution will bubble if lead is in there.
3 min max is all i will do.

Now the powder coat is HF Harbor Freight red.
Clean cast bullets.
I water drop mine and then towel dry.. that is clean enough.
I shake some red HF powder coat into a cottage cheese container (Plastic) and place enough bullets in there to make 2 layers high.
cover the bottom and add 1 more layer.. so not many bullets.
Swirl and shake they will coat pretty well.

My hands are very dry and no oils on them during this process.
I can either tweezers them out or pick them up with my fingers I tried both ways.
I bake them in a toaster oven I have tried 325-400 degrees and get same results .. 15-20 minutes.
Then unplug the oven and open the door and let them cool.

I place a cut piece of parchment paper onto the pan that goes into the toaster oven and place bullets on that base down.

I tried pouring them out and let them lay ..eeehhh one side will have more powder coat left than the other.

I tried aluminum foil and they stuck.. even tried non stick aluminum foil they stuck.
I tried just the aluminum pan with nothing on it..
Had to beat the bullets off with a hammer..do not do that.

WOW!! I had like 4 oz of my homemade wine and got a little buzz. WTH Had to drink some to break down this deer backstrap
I cooked for dinner.

Anyway.
I am hoping no more leading.
And hope accuracy stays the same or gets better.
I can powder coat a bullet and place it on the concrete floor and smash it with a hammer and it does not come off. It conforms to the shape of the bullet.
You can't scratch it though with a fingernail.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DRC458 Those look good.
The process is almost too easy not to do it.
Those i gave you were not ran through a sizer ..did you size them??
Not that many really felt like they needed sized.
No lube needed on them to run them through a Lee sizer. they slick right through.

On towel drying the bullets..I do not use fabric softeners in my laundry and NO dryer sheets either. those have oils and if you towel dry with that oily towel you may not get good coverage.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. That definitely sounds like something I want to try. I always have "sticky" bullets after lubing and get tired of wiping them down before loading. I'm sure I don't need to but I'm kind of a perfectionist and can't stand "sticky" or "tacky" bullets. Do you size them after powder coating? I would think so.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those i gave you were not ran through a sizer ..did you size them??

No lube needed on them to run them through a Lee sizer. they slick right through.

Do you size them after powder coating? I would think so.

Yes, I did; and yes, you do. The ones I have cast and coated, I dropped straight out of the mold and onto a soft rag inside a cardboard box. After they cool, I pick them up with tweezers and place them straight into a plastic tub and powder coat as swampratt described. Then, it's into the toaster oven! swampratt described that process eloquently.

Latest posts

Top Bottom