Finally powder coated 45acp loaded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gohon

Marksman
Reaction score
I've been powder coating all my casts for about 5 years now. Bought the gun at Harbor freight when I started, used it twice and stuck it out in the barn where it lives now. Just too messy and wasted powder in my opinion. Went back to the shake and bake method using Eastwood powder. Used Harbor Freight powder when first starting but only the red worked for me.

What I do is take a Cool Whip tub, after it is empty of course, Put in enough Air Soft BB's to cover the bottom(The Black BB's are best as they are the largest and heaviest), throw in a hand full of cast bullets and about a table spoon of powder. Put the lid on the tub and make sure you hold the lid down as you don't want to have that powder fly out on you. Then swirl the tube as hard and fast as you can for about 30 seconds. Check the bullets for coverage and if necessary repeat the last step. Using tweezers I'll stand the bullets on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. You're all done now except for loading and shooting.

Here is a picture of a 45 Colt load shot from a rifle at 50 yards. Top target is Powder Coated bullets and bottom target is Alox coated bullets. The Powder Coated bullets actually shot a little tighter. That's five shots in each target with the 5th shot always going outside the group for what ever reason.

Attachments

• d1.JPG
    d1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 125

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice Gohon.
I do not have a gun I have always used the shake and bake method harbor freight red.
Here is a batch already cooked and cooled I did today.. I did 2 full trays today. On parchment paper.
I used to use pliers but that took way too long now I just wash my hands and dry them and use my fingers.. Wash after handling.
Do not dry your hands on towels that have fabric softener or dryer sheets used on them.
001.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the 45 Colt tossing the 5th round I had a 45 Colt and I measured brass like I do for my other rifles.
Case thickness case OD and case ID after sizing.
I found the 45 Colt brass from different manufactures or different lots was all over the place .. so much so that I will not ever get another one unless I want to buy some Starline or something else in 100 count or more.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice Gohon.
I do not have a gun I have always used the shake and bake method harbor freight red.
Here is a batch already cooked and cooled I did today.. I did 2 full trays today. On parchment paper.
I used to use pliers but that took way too long now I just wash my hands and dry them and use my fingers.. Wash after handling.
Do not dry your hands on towels that have fabric softener or dryer sheets used on them.

You are quite the motivator, I think I'll make some more wadcutters tomorrow.
The last 2 batches of bullets I baked, half of them melted on the baking tray. I've coated probably a dozen batches of bullets; 308, 45, and 358's with no problems, just the last 2. If it happens again, I'm tossing that cheap toaster oven and getting something a little better. Maybe I'll step up and get that nice 30 dollar wally world model.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shake and bake here as well. Started with Harbor Freight red (which I still use), and added some Eastwood colors later. I ought to be casting and coating some more right now.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've experimented with several methods of powder coating, here's what I found works best. Rather than using airsoft BBs, I preheat the bullets before coating. I pour around 300 into a pan, and put them into my toaster oven preheated to 450 for three minutes. When they come out, they should be warm enough that they are slightly uncomfortable to hold in your hand. Sorry, can't be more specific. I then dump the warmed bullets into a bucket, pour a couple of teaspoons of powder on, then seal the bucket and shake it for minute. The bullets will come our well coated. I pour all of the coated bullets into a strainer and give it a shake to get the extra powder off. I then pour all the bullets into a pan lined with non-stick foil. Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes. I pull out the pan, give it a good shake to break the bullets apart, and pour them into a tub of water.

Some powders don't coat well using this method. Harbor Freight red works well, I also use Prismatic silver and safety orange with good results. I've tried several blacks, haven't found one that will coat well.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may have to try that Hot shake and bake.

I do not use any BB's just a sour cream plastic container powder and bullets they coat fine.
I tried air soft BB's and other static plastics.. seemed those things got in the way. I did not notice any benefit from them.
I need to go wash my hands and do a batch.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cast and coated some .452 225 RN and some .358 148 DEWC. Baked at 350 for 15-20 minutes and they came out beautifully. Seriously, these are the best bullets I've coated. I compared them to bullets from previous batches and the old ones just look awful. It could also have something to do with the fact that I had previously bare-handed bullets before and gave no thought to my finger oils preventing a good coat.
When I read your post, I had a major "Duh" moment. Could that be why my bullets aren't coating as well as everyone else? Yep.

45 cast coated.jpg 45 38 cast coated.jpg

I rolled the bullets in an acetone soaked rag and kept gloved hands for the rest of the operation.
Good call on the temperature and clean hands.

Latest posts

Top Bottom