Finally powder coated 45acp loaded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW - I've been sticking with 400 degrees when baking mine, because both Harbor Freight and Eastwood call for 400 degrees except with 'clear.' Do other powder coating material manufacturers recommend different temperatures?

I need to try pre-heating some before coating them like @Cat City Slim suggested. I assume you're dumping them into a metal container of some sort to coat them after pre-heating? What are you using that's got a lid? TIA.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you stick a temp gauge into the toaster oven you can preheat it to 350 as you open the door and stick a cold tray into it filled with coolish bullets the oven temp will drop. Just open the door and it will drop.
Then you get a full on by the elements your temp can get much higher than the 400 and then back down and then back up as it cools. even a big full size kitchen oven will do the same.

I stuck a thermometer into my oven and watched it . My 350 setting works well.

Not all ovens will be 350 when on 350 it is just a set of points on a steel strip as the strip heats up it bends and breaks contact no more power to the element until the strip cools and the points contact each other.

I have fixed a few electric griddles and deep fryers that would not get up to more than 250 degrees even though the dial was maxed out to 400+

Just bent the steel strip a bit.
Retest.
One mans 350 is another mans 406

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you stick a temp gauge into the toaster oven you can preheat it to 350 as you open the door and stick a cold tray into it filled with coolish bullets the oven temp will drop. Just open the door and it will drop.
Then you get a full on by the elements your temp can get much higher than the 400 and then back down and then back up as it cools. even a big full size kitchen oven will do the same.

I stuck a thermometer into my oven and watched it . My 350 setting works well.

Not all ovens will be 350 when on 350 it is just a set of points on a steel strip as the strip heats up it bends and breaks contact no more power to the element until the strip cools and the points contact each other.

I have fixed a few electric griddles and deep fryers that would not get up to more than 250 degrees even though the dial was maxed out to 400+

Just bent the steel strip a bit.
Retest.
One mans 350 is another mans 406

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I always put a small oven thermometer in my toaster oven when I'm cooking bullets. I know the settings on the dial aren't even reasonably close. My oven came from a second hand store and before I even tried to use it, I put the thermometer in there to check out the settings. Nope. I use the thermometer every time and adjust the dial from it. Still, it's hard to find a sweet spot to get it to maintain a steady, or nearly steady, 400 degrees. I should probably just invest in a new oven!

I wondered if, pre-heating the bullets in a 450-degree oven (even for only three minutes), they would come out too hot to dump into a plastic tub for coating. What do you think?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I got to thinking I do not want to handle my bullets too many times.
I said I was going to try the preheat method. then thought.. It will take 2x as long.
Just shake and bake has not done anything bad for me so i will keep it simple and stick with that and my 350 spot works fine no matter what fluctuation temps I get.

Typing this i just thought of something.
The temp may fluctuate but probably not long enough to really fluctuate the lead temps.
If they coat and shoot well what more can you ask for.
Keeping it simple here.

Revolvergp100

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
45LC. Eastwood light blue with HF red second coat for looks. 350 for 15 minutes.

Attachments

• 25C4F495-E352-4CE3-81BD-B719DE606CA9.jpeg
    25C4F495-E352-4CE3-81BD-B719DE606CA9.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts

Top Bottom