Finally some reloading progress.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was lucky for some time that a buddy had a range I could use almost always.
500 yards was the max i shot and i did a lot of my load work at 200 and300 yards.
I was trying my hardest to make tight groups at 100 and then i was able to use his range.
my 100 yard loads did not look so well at 200 or 300.. they all kept opening up way too much.
I had many .3" groups and a couple that would shoot .2's at 100 every time i went to the range.

I was very disappointed when those great 100 yard loads went to crap at 200.
So I decided I needed to make loads and test them at 200 then 300.
I got some really good loads many under 1" at 200 yards.
1.25" at 300.
Then I would shoot those loads at 100 yards and they did not impress me .75" group usually looked scattered in a group.. not in a line or anything.
But 200 and 300 yards they proved to be good.

My guns are factory stuff that are cheap. no aftermarket triggers or barrels or stocks.
I do tweak my stuff though.

If you have an opportunity to work loads at 200 yards I would do that and not mess so much with 100 unless you are only going to shoot 100 yards.
Maybe I am the odd one out here having my tight 100 yard stuff open up at 200 to unacceptable levels.
Worst offender was my .308 with Varget powder and 175 A-Max.
Deer was almost 200 yards away. Had the load that did .3's all the time at 100 yards.
I shot that deer but not where I was aiming.
It hit nearly 12" away but dead right there just the same.
That is when I started shooting paper at the distances I was going to hunt at. HUGE eye opener for me.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is my experience that 6mm bullets in my Savage rifle like velocity. TR= 1: 7 1/2
Most of my loads are about .5 grains below MAX in Hornady Book.
Also downloaded Load info amendment from Hornady website.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is my experience that 6mm bullets in my Savage rifle like velocity. TR= 1: 7 1/2
Most of my loads are about .5 grains below MAX in Hornady Book.
Also downloaded Load info amendment from Hornady website.
That twist will work well with the weight bullets your shooting, and your correct that 6mm likes velocity. I'm loading to max and getting great accuracy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom