Finally we're getting somewhere with tax reform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see the "prioritizing;" C-corps are still subject to double taxation (tax on profits at the corporate level, tax again at dividends to the shareholders), just at a slightly reduced rate. Double taxation is the reason most small businesses opt to be treated as S-corps.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost all of these clowns need shown the door. They are pathetic. Can’t even agree to get one thing meaningful done. This country is doomed. No matter what we do nothing is going to change. Our government is too big and powerful now. We have no say anymore. The only way we would ever have what we used to is to have a resistance and that won’t happen.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is McCain on or off his meds to agree with this?

John McCain will support Senate tax bill, boosting its chances of passing

• Sen. John McCain will back the Senate Republican tax bill.
  • McCain was one of the last remaining GOP holdouts on the bill.
  • His stance boost the Senate's chances of approving the legislation by Friday.
Sen. John McCain will back the Senate tax bill, increasing the plan's chances of clearing the Senate by Friday.

The Arizona Republican was one of the last GOP senators who had not committed to supporting the proposal.

"After careful thought and consideration, I have decided to support the Senate tax reform bill," McCain said in a statement Thursday. "I believe this legislation, though far from perfect, would enhance American competitiveness, boost the economy, and provide long overdue tax relief for middle class families."

McCain's stance, as well as an expected "yes" vote from Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, leaves few GOP senators undecided. Republican leaders are currently tweaking the bill to appease other skeptical senators, including Sens. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., James Lankford, R-Okla., Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., Susan Collins, R-Maine, Ron Johnson, R-Wis., and Steve Daines, R-Mont.

All Republican senators voted Wednesday to start debate on the bill.

Republicans can lose two votes and still pass the tax plan under special budget rules if all Democrats and independents oppose it. Vice President Mike Pence can cast a tiebreaking vote for a simple majority.

McCain, 81, bucked his party and drew venom from President Donald Trump when he opposed a Senate Obamacare repeal plan in September. Returning to the Senate that week following a brain cancer procedure, he criticized the Senate GOP's rushed process and called for a return to regular procedural order.

McCain said his concerns about regular order were satisfied during the tax process.

The senator also addressed the tax bill's repeal of the Obamacare individual mandate, which requires most Americans to have health insurance or pay a penalty. Scrapping the measure would lead to about 13 million more people uninsured, with average Obamacare premiums rising 10 percent, according to nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimates.

McCain called the individual mandate "an onerous tax that especially harms those from low-income brackets."

Most lower and middle-income groups will eventually see a tax increase under the Senate plan, according to Joint Committee on Taxation estimates. Wealthier Americans will broadly get tax relief from the bill.

The Senate legislation only temporarily changes individual income tax rates while permanently cutting the corporate tax rate to 20 percent from 35 percent.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly don't know, but anything supported by the usual suspects
McCain's stance, as well as an expected "yes" vote from Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, leaves few GOP senators undecided. Republican leaders are currently tweaking the bill to appease other skeptical senators, including Sens. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., James Lankford, R-Okla., Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., Susan Collins, R-Maine, Ron Johnson, R-Wis.
makes me suspicious. I'm REALLY beginning to dislike Lankford more and more. He needs to be ousted come his next election. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom