Finally-Winning bid on Gunbroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After bidding on a dozen or so guns on Gunbroker I've finally won one. The prices just seem to be so much higher than the gun is worth. At least in my opinion. Add on tax, shipping and FFL charges... well anyway I picked up a nice Ruger MK II pistol with a 4" barrel for a good price so I guess it does pay to keep an eye on some of these auction sites.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago there were some great deals to be had, especially with the penny auctions. I had a new pistol that I had won transferred into Sooner State Pawn and was told that I got it for less than dealers cost. Today, however, it’s a different story. Everything seems to be priced at a premium and I don’t find any penny auctions for items I’m interested in. Gunbroker is still good for the rare, unique, or hard to find items but not so much for readily available items.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
15-ish years ago I did a lot of buying (and selling) on GunBroker. Not any more. I have to want something pretty badly to pay the stupid high prices most auctions are bringing. Not to mention the sales tax is automatic on the instant checkout auctions. Sometimes sales tax can be avoided if you can pay the seller directly. Plus they added the "compliance fee" of 1 or 1.5 percent (forgot which) the buyer pays on all auctions.

They've nickel and dimed their way right out of my wallet.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago there were some great deals to be had, especially with the penny auctions. I had a new pistol that I had won transferred into Sooner State Pawn and was told that I got it for less than dealers cost. Today, however, it’s a different story. Everything seems to be priced at a premium and I don’t find any penny auctions for items I’m interested in. Gunbroker is still good for the rare, unique, or hard to find items but no so much for readily available items.
I picked up a police trade Sig P229 a few years back at a really good price. The gun shop guy told me I stole it and offered to buy it. I was rather proud of myself.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are still deals to be had there, but they're elusive. Most sellers charge a 3% to 4% markup if you use a card to pay. Add in shipping, tax, and gunbroker fees. Most auctions end up costing $75 over closing price at the very least. I usually consider the actual cost to be $100 over my bid if I decide to jump in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom