Finnish M39 values?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about adding a Tikka or Valmet barreled M39 to go with my Sako. I was really surprised to see the values holding steady or even less than a few years ago. Any ideas why they are not going up like others? Mine is one of the finest shooting milsurps i own.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finnish milsurps aren't as well known as those from other countries like Germany and Russia. If Steven Spielberg were ever to produce a movie about the Continuation War, you can bet M39 prices would spike.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think milsurps are at their peak right now for a few reasons, and may go down. One, I don't believe there are as many people interested as there used to be, two I think that at the price of milsurps right now a lot of people can't afford them. 20 years ago you could be the average middle class man and buy U.S. military for under $250.00, or Enfields for under $200, now anything decent at a gun show is over $800.00 for U.S., even Enfields are over $350. Well, most people aren't making 3 times what they were making in 1995. Also, a lot of younger people don't even make middle class wages like us baby boomers. Most U.S. milsurps will probably stay at their current valve, but some of the recent imports and more unknown milsurps(mausers, arg., chili, mexico, etc.) will go down, if they ever went up. Just my thoughts.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, the wave of M39's from Classic has depressed the prices a bit too. Before they bought out the supply from Pat Burns, the Burns's would only list a handful at a time.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get one from Classic when they have them available. Likely the best pricing that will be found once they completely dry up and are only available in the secondary market. As for the rest of the milsurp market I think its a bubble. People were interested in cheap milsurps when they were cheap and ammo was cheap as well. Now its all drying up and people are trying to pick up what they can get because "everyone has one but me" and that bubble will bust. I quit going to gunshows because of the lack of milsurps but have sold all of the ones, other than the specific factories, dates etc that I wanted to keep, for at least double what I paid for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom