Finnish M39

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice rifle...gotta love seeing all that Finn preservative grease. Interesting to see what looks to be a NOS war-time stock. Most seen in that condition are post-war with squared finger joints. I also like the extra biscuits splices on the sides of the stock where the finger joint is located. That stock is definitely a keeper for anyone who appreciates well done wood work. You'll have to be sure to check the tang date and manufacture since you have already removed the stock.

I'll try my best to answer the questions in your album...

The crest on the receiver is an Imperial Eagle crest over cyrillic PK (proof commission)...I believe this was the latest style of imperial eagle that was used. VKT's still retain these markings more often than Sako rifles which are typically scrubbed.

I would need to see photos of the extractor from another angle to comment on whether or not it is bent.

Cocking piece is a pre-1928 Izhevsk part. The bolt body and bolt heads should be maker marked as well, but I didn't see any photos posted of those particular stamps.

Triggerguard is a pre-1928 Tula part.

The joints towards the forend of your rifle are typical of a Finn war-time stock (rounded finger joints). Transitional joints were star shaped while post-war were square. An extra set of biscuit joints have been added on each side on your particular stock. The Finns produced two-piece stocks as they felt that they were both stronger and less prone to warping in the harsh environments in which they were used.

The splice on your lower buttstock is commonly called a "toe-splice". This type of splice is performed when the stock blank is not large enough be formed into one single piece.

Latest posts

Top Bottom