Firearm I wish would be made - pump action 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the rifle originally outlined could just about be outshined in all areas by a 16" .357 lever action.

By the time one added all of these bomb-proof (so...forged) extra parts, the price would be beyond what many could afford.

So simple that anyone can work on is not going to happen. Some guys can't change their oil or wiper blades. If you have the skill and will...you can work on almost any gun. I got into gunsmithing after getting a busted up and falsely advertised S&W 66-1 off of Gunbroker.

Commonality with the 1911 is impossible unless you matched the new rifles receiver to the same dimensions as a 1911 frame...and ignoring the engineering aspects completely...you'd end up with the Mustang II of rifles...it would be so freaking ugly.

I know that I'm probably coming off as the giant douche, so I'll shut up here in a moment, but a modern 1873 or 1892 Winchester (Miroku) would probably the best way to scratch the itch.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that the rifle originally outlined could just about be outshined in all areas by a 16" .357 lever action.

By the time one added all of these bomb-proof (so...forged) extra parts, the price would be beyond what many could afford.

So simple that anyone can work on is not going to happen. Some guys can't change their oil or wiper blades. If you have the skill and will...you can work on almost any gun. I got into gunsmithing after getting a busted up and falsely advertised S&W 66-1 off of Gunbroker.

Commonality with the 1911 is impossible unless you matched the new rifles receiver to the same dimensions as a 1911 frame...and ignoring the engineering aspects completely...you'd end up with the Mustang II of rifles...it would be so freaking ugly.

I know that I'm probably coming off as the giant douche, so I'll shut up here in a moment, but a modern 1873 or 1892 Winchester (Miroku) would probably the best way to scratch the itch.
Not all. You’re probably right about those design parameters and probably the reason it’s not made. I just would like to have one that meets some of that criteria.

If semi auto is possible, then pump action magazine fed should be too. Am I right?

On barrel length, the 9mm doesn’t gain much at 16”. Maybe 200ft per second but it certainly doesn’t hurt the performance. I say 16” just to be legal with the stock.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all. You’re probably right about those design parameters and probably the reason it’s not made. I just would like to have one that meets some of that criteria.

If semi auto is possible, then pump action magazine fed should be too. Am I right?

On barrel length, the 9mm doesn’t gain much at 16”. Maybe 200ft per second but it certainly doesn’t hurt the performance. I say 16” just to be legal with the stock.
So something like a Marlin Camp 9 but a pump.

Camp 9.jpg

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we are seeing a tiny bit of a swing away from the ARs and Tupperware. They just pretty much dominated new stuff for a long time.

Why did they quit making the camp 9? Seems like they were popular. Expensive most of the time. I don’t care for the New Ruger PC carbine.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magnum Research had a 44 mag and 357 mag pump carbine years ago.
I have wanted a Colt Lightning copy in 45 Colt. I dont think they are strong enough for +P heavy 45 loads like my Rossi lever can.
A pump pistol caliber defensive carbine, very cool in 10mm I am just sayin...

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No cigar, but in the same vein, you can get a marlin converted over to 10mm/40S&W or 45acp. It’s pricey, but I would love to have a lever gun in 10mm.
https://www.grizzlycustom.com/shop/
In my opinion, 38/.357 gives you the type of cartridge the rifles were designed to run, and equal to far better performance from the rifle than you would get from 9mm. There is just no incentive to go to a 9mm - the rifle would be the same; the performance would suffer. my understanding is that 9mm runs out of gas after 10-12” of barrel, so any gains from having a longer barrel are actually lost when you bump things up to 16” tubes.

with all this being said, I’m not opposed to the idea. I love having multiple platforms for the same cartridge.
But if it has a threaded barrel… you could hold more ammo for suppressed fun. (Only reason I can think of over just owning a 38/357.). I’d still take a Henry big boy x 38/357 over it though, for all the reasons you mentioned.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Theoretically, if you remove the fore end and recoil spring, and install a grip with action bars attached to the bolt, you would have a pump gun.

wouldt that be roughly the case? Essentially a semi auto gas shotgun with the port plugged is a single shot manually cycled gun, as would be an inertia shotgun without the spring… right? Or am I just delusional/dumb?

If a guy in England can make a lever action, bull pup, 44mag belt fed rifle I’m sure that our collective brains could come up with a prototype of this pump action 9mm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom