Firearm storage and galvanic corrosion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I’ve been trying to be better about firearm storage, such as removing firearms from bags, storing wood guns barrel down, and storing firearms with the firing pin released, removing pressure from the firing pin spring. I was reading the manual for my new to me 686 Silver Pigeon, and it stated that storing the shotgun with the firing pins released and having snap caps in the gun are essential/highly suggested. But I was thinking, what about galvanic corrosion? Most snap caps are anodized aluminum, and specifically on the aforementioned firearm, my chambers are chromed. I know beretta sells chromed snap caps, but at $50 a pair they aren’t exactly cheap. Is there a chance of corrosion with using the non matching metals? Has anyone had this happen?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the aluminum be anodized? Also, that’s like a 2k shotgun. $50 seems like cheap insurance. Almost like buying a high performance sports car and only buying 87 octane to save a few bucks.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
probably the snap cap recommendation has more to do with safety political correctness than storage. i would just use a good storage oil and keep them in a dry environment.
With the 686 (and all other box lock shotguns that I know of) it has a leaf spring rather than a typical coil spring found in many other guns. Constant pressure can be detrimental to them, as opposed to a coil spring which is made for it. That’s why you relieve the pressure.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the aluminum be anodized? Also, that’s like a 2k shotgun. $50 seems like cheap insurance. Almost like buying a high performance sports car and only buying 87 octane to save a few bucks.
I believe it would be. And you’re right, but I figured while I’m at it I would get snap caps for my other shotguns as well, and 50/pair gets pricey, esp when purchased for cheaper shotguns.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe it would be. And you’re right, but I figured while I’m at it I would get snap caps for my other shotguns as well, and 50/pair gets pricey, esp when purchased for cheaper shotguns.
If youre concerned at all, just put a super thin film of lube/grease between the two. Ive not had any issues with galvanic corrosion as long as I kept plenty of lube where to two dissimilar metals meet.

For automotive stuff, it isnt unheard of for mfg to use aluminum bolts throughout the AC plumbing system, even where they thread into the steel chassis. Ive had VERY few issues where galvanic corrosion would seize a fastener in this situation because even the smallest amount of paint in the threads keeps them pretty protected in normal environments and some of these fasteners had been in place for at least 15-20 years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom