Firearm Values

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkpantywearer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have had firearms for as long as I can remember and purchased them for the last 16 years. Why I have seen the market go up and up I dont think I have seen it this low.

I think the unforeseen consequence of this is that if you purchased your Del-ton AR two or three yeas ago you probably paid $750-$850 for it. However that doesnt mean that it is worth that today.

When people are making deals on trades you need to reasonably assume we are basing the value of your firearm on what we can buy it today for and not what you paid for it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah... I have several ARs I have abound $1200-1600 or more in that I built from parts in the year following Sandy Hook. No way I would get that much out of them if I were to sell them these day.

Luckily, I'm not trying to sell them. :D

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly ar are in. Constant state of depreciating, mainly because the market is flooded. You will get people who don't understand why the rifle is $1000 when they can get one for $400, but the $1000 one has a $400 barrel. I don't think ars are going to ever be collectors items because you can Frankenstein them together. Milsurp and big name revolvers might be the way to go if you want to make an investment gun purchase.

Pinkpantywearer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly ar are in. Constant state of depreciating, mainly because the market is flooded. You will get people who don't understand why the rifle is $1000 when they can get one for $400, but the $1000 one has a $400 barrel. I don't think ars are going to ever be collectors items because you can Frankenstein them together. Milsurp and big name revolvers might be the way to go if you want to make an investment gun purchase.

On the other side of that if you modify any gun but especially an AR you do so for your own use and shouldnt really expect to get your investment out of it. If you do great but you probably wont

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the other side of that if you modify any gun but especially an AR you do so for your own use and shouldnt really expect to get your investment out of it. If you do great but you probably wont

Most mods reflect an individual, you can take a $600 gun sink $400 in modifications and possibly sell it for $800z

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a legit $2000 AR. It was worth that before Sandy Hook. Right after Sandy Hook, the beater AR's were SELLING for $1500-$2000. expensive ones after SH only had a small bubble. Now, if you have an expensive one, everyone thinks it's an overpriced frankengun. I would actually have part it out to get $2000 for it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Milsurp and big name revolvers might be the way to go if you want to make an investment gun purchase.

Even milsurps aren't a good bet from an investment standpoint. You'd do better in the long run to invest in the stock market; a fair example might be the M1 Garand. You could buy an average Service Grade quality M1 circa 1960 for around $90; today, that post-war M1 might be worth $1500 if it's all correct, and $800-900 if a mixmaster. That same $90 invested in the stock market back then would be worth about $2200 today assuming a rather conservative 6% rate of return. And that's assuming you don't wear out the rifle in the meantime and dent its value as a result.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
True... guns are not much of an investment. Not compared to stocks and such.

But when it all comes crashing down, they will have been one of the best investments ever - much more than some pieces of paper that say you own X.YZ% of a company that no longer exists, or that have pictures of old dead guys on them.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Surplus guns are going to go up while people feel safe. They will spend more money on guns they didnt think would be banned right away and will put more money in older firearms. I hope to see more classic guns come out of the industry while we are in this weird time frame. I am no fudd but love seeing some wood furniture on guns and just more traditional styled guns. I am very interested in the Hill and Mac STG. Also may look at some of brownings guns like the BAR and BLR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom