Firearms Maintenance: Do You do A Good Job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep all my guns clean and lightly oiled at all times. I pay attention to regular maintenance items on semi-autos, like recoil spring changes as specified, or maybe even a little sooner, in the case of carry and home defense guns.

I use Hoppes #9 and Breakfree CLP cause that's what I was taught to use in the USMC. I do not over-lube my firearms.

Are you a good, responsible gun owner or are you Ned Neglectful and let your maintenance slide?
Glock43 beater.jpg

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree. I use Hoppes #9 and Shooter's Choice for my M1A. Have always used Breakfree CLP with no issues as well.

When I was a kid, I had to take care of my "toys". That lesson applies to my firearms. About every three months or so, I take my guns out over the course of a couple weekends and run some patches down the barrels and wipe them down.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My carry gun gets cleaned usually every couple hundred rounds. I will let my training guns go 500-1000 rounds before cleaning. I'm currently working on a 2,000 round challenge without cleaning for my glock 34.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not use CLP.
I see you got a promotion.

Just curious; why not CLP? Thanks. And I think the owner made me a mod cause I'm smart AND good lookin, ya know? Trying to bring a little class to the joint.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to use non-toxic products if possible, simply to minimize my regular exposure to chemicals that may cause me problems over time. I also have pets and my wife has Cinderella-like shade and sun gardens and Heaven help me if I should inadvertently poison any of the creatures or pollute their environs.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love Ballistol and my wife thinks it smells like cat urine. I like it because it cleans better than anything I've found and you can use it as a cleaner and oil. Stays forever.
I read all the time about how cleaning your gun too much does more damage than not cleaning it. I say Bull Crap!
I clean my guns almost every time I go shoot and I shoot them often. I'm not talking about running a wire brush and disassembly of uppers and firing pins. I talking about cleaning the barrel with Ballistol or clp, patches and q-tips etc.
I like doing it and I enjoy it.
Do as you please. I clean mine often and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom