Firearms Maintenance: Do You do A Good Job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes. Actually, the wife bought one somewhere to clean her jewelry...I slink around when she isn't around and use it sometimes for small parts. It's just about as much hassle to set it up and then have to clean it as it is to just go ahead and clean the dang guns in the first place.

I been meaning to get one I just havent been anywhere to pick one up yet. It would make suppressors and BCG so much easier to clean I think. I can just leave it set up where I need it. What solution do you use?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I been meaning to get one I just havent been anywhere to pick one up yet. It would make suppressors and BCG so much easier to clean I think. I can just leave it set up where I need it. What solution do you use?

Just water. Hers is really just for jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love Ballistol and my wife thinks it smells like cat urine. I like it because it cleans better than anything I've found and you can use it as a cleaner and oil. Stays forever.
I read all the time about how cleaning your gun too much does more damage than not cleaning it. I say Bull Crap!
I clean my guns almost every time I go shoot and I shoot them often. I'm not talking about running a wire brush and disassembly of uppers and firing pins. I talking about cleaning the barrel with Ballistol or clp, patches and q-tips etc.
I like doing it and I enjoy it.
Do as you please. I clean mine often and enjoy it.

Same here on extent of cleaning, Ballistol only after every time out on the range, no wife to mind the smell.

I do take the side plate off the older S&W revolvers I have bought and spray them out with brake cleaner spray and lube well with Ballistol unless they are extremely clean and lubed already. It is amazing how much old black junk and grease and who knows what has been built up in some of them.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same here on extent of cleaning, Ballistol only after every time out on the range, no wife to mind the smell.

I do take the side plate off the older S&W revolvers I have bought and spray them out with brake cleaner spray and lube well with Ballistol unless they are extremely clean and lubed already. It is amazing how much old black junk and grease and who knows what has been built up in some of them.

Might be old ballistol residue! Yuck! I've never used it; do you know where in OKC it is sold?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might be old ballistol residue! Yuck! I've never used it; do you know where in OKC it is sold?

I'll pick some up for you if you want. My local gun shop carries it. I love the stuff. When you see how good it works, you will see for yourself.
Let me know. If we do the eat and shoot, I'll bring a can for you

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious; why not CLP? Thanks. And I think the owner made me a mod cause I'm smart AND good lookin, ya know? Trying to bring a little class to the joint.

Sent from my iPhone
I use hoppes 9 and clp for bore cleaning, not as a lube, it seems to evaporate. I use white grease and Mobil 1 for lube.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll pick some up for you if you want. My local gun shop carries it. I love the stuff. When you see how good it works, you will see for yourself.
Let me know. If we do the eat and shoot, I'll bring a can for you

Thanks. I do want to try it. So, yeah, I appreciate it. And it's not IF; it's WHEN. We ARE going to do it even if we just get a few to start. You let me know what I owe you.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I do want to try it. So, yeah, I appreciate it. And it's not IF; it's WHEN. We ARE going to do it even if we just get a few to start. You let me know what I owe you.

Will do. Even if it's just a few of us, lets meet up and shoot.
Looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom