Firearms Maintenance: Do You do A Good Job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use hoppes 9 and clp for bore cleaning, not as a lube, it seems to evaporate. I use white grease and Mobil 1 for lube.

Used CLP when in the Corps; never had an issue. But yeah; Mobil 1 seems like a cheap option and seems to get good PR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My FR-8 scout rifle started life as a battle rifle. It gets cleaned when I think it needs it--and I'm still trying to decide when I might consider thinking about that. My .22 rifles are seldom cleaned. My HK pistols are built for hard use. Me, I'm just fat and lazy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I"m in the boat of one who shoots a lot yet cleans rarely.
My pistols are kind of embarrassing when getting in a crowd. Powder/carbon residue makes my hands dirty, and when I pick my nose and rub my eyes after handling them, it looks like tactical combat makeup, so that makes it cool.
Probably 5K rounds through my M&P mags. Never cleaned them, and never have had a direct malfunction I can contribute to a mag failure, or a dirty mag.
Occasionally I'll take them outside the shop, and drown them in silicone lube spray, shake off, and throw back into the range bag. Seems to work.
Cleaned the BCG in one of the AR's when I noticed it the cycle rate was at about 1 second. Never failed to fire though.
Oh yeah, don't use one of those new fangled ultrasonic cleaners to clean your gun using anything acidic.
It tends to remove the finish from the slide and frame. Don't ask me how I know this, but if you see a guy shooting what looks like a brushed aluminum M&P 5" pro .40 cal, you will understand.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I"m in the boat of one who shoots a lot yet cleans rarely.
My pistols are kind of embarrassing when getting in a crowd. Powder/carbon residue makes my hands dirty, and when I pick my nose and rub my eyes after handling them, it looks like tactical combat makeup, so that makes it cool.
Probably 5K rounds through my M&P mags. Never cleaned them, and never have had a direct malfunction I can contribute to a mag failure, or a dirty mag.
Occasionally I'll take them outside the shop, and drown them in silicone lube spray, shake off, and throw back into the range bag. Seems to work.
Cleaned the BCG in one of the AR's when I noticed it the cycle rate was at about 1 second. Never failed to fire though.
Oh yeah, don't use one of those new fangled ultrasonic cleaners to clean your gun using anything acidic.
It tends to remove the finish from the slide and frame. Don't ask me how I know this, but if you see a guy shooting what looks like a brushed aluminum M&P 5" pro .40 cal, you will understand.
That's funny.
Wife came home yesterday, after I had finished cleaning my 1911 (gathers a lot of black you know), and said "You been cleaning your guns?" I said "yeah, how did you know?" She told me to go look in the mirror. Had black all over my nose and chin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom