Firearms Solutions Bowling Pin shoot Duncan Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 August 2020
Screenshot_20200801-100513_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really enjoy shooting these.

In my (biased) opinion it really challenges a person. You are shooting 5 bowling pins at 15 yards off of a 4’x 8’ surface. The pin are placed nearer the front of the table. The object is to knock them off the table, not just down in the shortest amount of time.

But wait, there is another shooter 10’ away from you with the same setup, and you have to finish before he does.

A bowling pin closely matches the critical strike points of a human torso. It is very apparent when you lay the pin on a typical self defense training target. A good solid hit on the pin will take it all the way off the table. Get outside if the sweet spot and it may only fall down and need another shot (or 3 more) to get it off of the table.

The other shooter next to you increased the tension, it makes you want to speed up which usually just results in missing faster.

Very challenging and it can identify areas where one needs to train and practice.

It is double elimination bracket style, so if you lose the first time, you move from the main bracket to elimination bracket. So you still have a chance to shoot additional rounds and maybe even earn a chance to appear in the finals.

There are 3 division based on equipment. You can sign up for one, two, or all three.

It’s quite a bit of fun and a great bunch of people to shoot with.

Yell, and I try to answer any questions. Rules, procedures, best practices, etc.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the wins @Mad Professor !!

You mentioned that you run a CZ TSO 40 S&W at the pin matches and it apparently works well for you but I was wondering about the other guns that are commonly being used.

I realize it's not just the gun and that the person pulling the trigger has to be on top of his game but what would you say are the top 1, 2, or 3 guns and calibers most frequently seen at the pin matches ?

Are there different classes / divisions like in GSSF depending on the handgun being used (stock vs tricked out or even revolver vs semi-auto) and the shooters skill level ?

I'm sure you already know where I'm going with this......are there any competitors using 1911's in 45 ACP successfully ?

Again Congrats !!

Edit: after doing a forum search this thread answered most of my questions.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/bowling-pin-shooting.224908/

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on the wins @Mad Professor !!

You mentioned that you run a CZ TSO 40 S&W at the pin matches and it apparently works well for you but I was wondering about the other guns that are commonly being used.

I realize it's not just the gun and that the person pulling the trigger has to be on top of his game but what would you say are the top 1, 2, or 3 guns and calibers most frequently seen at the pin matches ?

I'm sure you already know where I'm going with this......are there any competitors using 1911's in 45 ACP successfully ?

There is a bit of everything being used. But, I would say a 1911 in .45 ACP is the most popular. I successfully used a M&P in .40 and .45 until I bought the TSO and started using it last year. There are several Glocks. A 1911 in .38 Super. A few XDs, I know one was a .40 who went to an elimination final. An occasional revolver will show up, but I don’t consider them competitive. But, yes 1911 and .45 is pretty much the most commonly used.

A heavy .45 bullet works best. Hollow points work very well, flat nose soft point next, then lead. FMJ will work, but the others grab the pin better.

Are there different classes / divisions like in GSSF depending on the handgun being used (stock vs tricked out or even revolver vs semi-auto) and the shooters skill level ?

There are 2 pistol divisions.

Pistol
The original pistol limited to iron sights and no porting or compensators. 8 rounds per magazine. Limited to traditional pistol calibers. No braces or stocks. No .30 carbine or .223, as these are not pistol calibers. You cannot “Barney” load an extra round at the start to exceed 8. Bring as many magazines as you want. It is very rare for someone to go past 2 reloads. It is not that uncommon to see the pins cleared in one magazine. I had to reload yesterday most times in Pistol.

Open
Pretty much USPSA rules. About anything goes, still pistol calibers. Optics, Compensators, ported barrels, etc. no braces or stocks. Magazine length limited to 170mm. Many run the same gun in both. I do and have made it to the finals a couple of times.

PCC was built under USPSA rules also. Same calibers as above. Comps and optics allowed. We see lots of ARs in 9, 40, and 45. Even one in .38 super now. There quite the mix being used. High points in 45, CZ Scorpion, Berreta CX4, Ruger PCC, MPX, Kriss Vectors, and even some lever action carbines. I’ve been using an AR in .40 and another in .45. But I’ve used one in 9 and also a MPX. Magazine capacity is unlimited, but I don’t load more than 15-18 rounds. My hits were spot on yesterday and I only fired 5 round each matchup. It is more common for me to use 7-8 rounds per match.

There are not any classes for different skill levels. The brackets in each division are randomly generated by computer. It is double elimination so if you get bounced from the main bracket the first round, you still get to shoot in the elimination bracket with a chance to come back to the finals.

Again Congrats !!

Edit: after doing a forum search this answered most of my questions.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/bowling-pin-shooting.224908

Good info there. The divisions have changed since then. That was the last of the rifle division. PCC was added shortly after that. And Open was added last year.

You need to come play next month. “Theoretically” at 15 yards, the 4.75” wide pins are the same size as 8” steel at 25 yards.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom