Fireplace easy build heat blower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the cold on us and the talk of inserts and Grate walls of fire grates.
I came up with an easy way to keep some of that heat from going up the chimney and put it inside the home.

Requires welding and some scrap tubing or pipe
Say you have a 6" or 8" pipe laying around. The back of the firebox is 29" wide.

Cut that pipe say 28" wide and cap the ends.
Cut 2 holes
Now get some smaller pipe/tubing and weld these over the 2 holes . Kind of making a heat exchanger.

These smaller tubes need to be long enough to be on the outside of the fireplace.
You can put an elbow on 1 end and a fan to force room air in one side and heat comes out the other side.

Of course you need to build a fire in the box and the larger tube at the rear should soak up a bunch of heat.

A picture since I can't splain crap well.

This is about as easy as a heat maker as I can come up with.
Use a cheap hair dryer to feed air in.. NO not on the heat setting.
Or an old computer fan.
This is where the elbow will come in handy on 1 side to attach the fan.
I will be building one for a buddy and he will be testing it out.

exchanger 001.JPG

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This would be great, but I am down to the last of my firewood. I can't believe no one on here has any up for sale.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This would be great, but I am down to the last of my firewood. I can't believe no one on here has any up for sale.

Me, too. We've gone through a bunch of firewood with just these two really cold snaps. Too much longer, and I'll have to look for some to buy.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how long/well a piece of 5" stainless exhaust pipe would hold up? I have a section of that I could try this with...but definitely dont need it burning through and shooting embers into the living room.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how long/well a piece of 5" stainless exhaust pipe would hold up? I have a section of that I could try this with...but definitely dont need it burning through and shooting embers into the living room.
I wouldnt use SS. Do you mean aluminized? I'd ude something heavier. Most, if not all, heat exchangers like this are not that close to the fire. They would be located above the fire and coals. Any hotter and your going to go through fans fast.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a fireplace many years ago as a kid. We ended up with an insert that was basically like a grate made out of tubing. The bottom and top stuck out a few inches from the front and looked like it was made from 1.5 inch exhaust pipe. Each was a solid piece curved to hold logs in wrap around the fire and vent heat out of the top. Went from being nice in front of the fire and cold in the rest of the rooms to roast marshmallow's from five feet away from the fire. No fans required just convection.

Close in design to this but the tubes had a foot that held it off the floor of the fireplace so you could still scoop out the ashes without removing the insert. https://www.ebay.com/itm/R16GR-F-RA...d=122914739219&_trksid=p2385738.c100688.m4649

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a blower on my fireplace but thats a good idea. Guys that drive Polaris Rangers use a small fan to remove heat from under the driver seat. If I remember right its a bilge fan. Maybe to exhaust fumes from the engine compartment of a boat? Anyway, they are cheap and run forever and dont make much noise. Thats what I hear anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom