Firestarter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diyprepgirl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, what do you think of when you see the word FIRESTARTER? Honestly, I think of the song by that title (back in the 90's Orgy song). If that's the first thing that came to my mind, you KNOW I am NOT the outdoor sey type. Seriously, I am not the first to volunteer to go camping, but being a mother of 3 boys and being married to an Alpha male---camping is gonna happen---it just is! I remember the first time we went camping as a family several years ago, it started out great!!! The boys were excited, my husband was excited and heck, even I was STOKED!!--ok, maybe that's a bit of an exageration--but as excited as this Queens gal was gonna be!
We packed all we knew we would need--thinking about the environment we'd be in, what the expected weather was and how long our adventure was to last. We got to the site and were not disappointed. We picked our location and began unpacking and setting up our camp.
NOT 1 HOUR into our adventure and all 3 boys were whining about being bored and wanting to be hooked up to some sort of electronic device. People, let me tell you--there's nothing more annoying than 3 kids in the woods "with nothing to do"---OMG, do you remember being about 12? For the love of Pete; I am from NYC and you had to send out a search party to get me to come home at that age! Even I could find SOMETHING to do at that age that did not require an electrical socket--and I am a girl!! Seriously, what's with these kids these days? Anyway--all was going "well" until our first night.
The weatherman (liar) advised of the "small chance for scattered showers" in the area we were in....yeah, whatever---IT WAS A FREAKING MONSOON! It was a washout. Amazingly enough, we made it through dry in our tents and my husband was VERY quick to point out that the fire he started never went out. I've had to hear about that for several years now and I thought I'd share that with YOU!

The secret to keeping a fire going is to find green wood with high sap or resin content. Cedars and spruces tend to work well, also evergreens. The sap has flamable properties that help stay lit in wet or damp environments. You must keep a large flame, not a small ember. Naturally, sheltering your fire from the elements using whatever natural resources available including your body as a wind and rain brake. Being wet in a harsh environment is no picnic, but being wet in a harsh environment with no way of drying off is even worse.
So, here's where I tell you about products that I have used and know to work.

For a cold wet environment: get cotton balls and soak them in petroleum jelly (vaseline) and store them in a waterproof container--pill bottles and film canisters work great!

In a dry climate, use a magnesium firestarter and dryer lint work great here--store in a waterproof container as well.

Super glue (apart from being a great adhesive) will also burn hot and long when lit and is a great addition to any emergency kit. Not only is it great for sealing scrapes and cuts, but will also get your fire started with the addition of some small tinder.

Check out Ultimate Survival's Sparkie, Fire starter. This works by simply pushing down non the PUSH button and plunging the body downward. ---I like this one, it's chick proof! And...we stock it at 2A Outfitters!

When preparing for outdoor excursions. always tip the odds in your favor. Within reason, as many firestarting sources as you can legitimatly carry, is advisable. Waterproof matches, cigarrette lighters, and even 9 volt batteries and steele wool may provide the more effective fire starting method depending on your environment. The great thing about these firestarters is that they take up very little room and add very little weight. It's hard to over emphasize the importance of fire in a survival situation. Weather its to signal for rescue, cook, purify water provide warmth or simply to be used as a calming agent, fire is a must for any extended venture into the outdoors.

So, we survived and had a wonderful time---haven't camped since.....lol! But, I might just do it again!!

I'd love to read about any family outings you may have lived through this summer! I invite you to share away!

Love & Survival--diyprepgirl

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 0000 steel wool and the 9v battery for my emergency kit that I carry in the backpack when elk hunting in the Rockies. Its a private ranch, and would probably be tough getting lost on, but, one never knows when a slip results in a broken leg, and cell phones don't typically work in that area. Spotty at best. It might be awhile before being found. I like to get out and wander the woods on my own. The nights get down to -25F.
Along with the fire starter, is some shredded wood fiber, and a wax block type of material that will burn on its own for 30 minutes or so. Hopefully that will allow time to keep gathering wood, or at least get enough fire going to be spotted by smoke or the light of the fire.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I too use cotton balls and vaseline, I also save dryer lint. I use this stuff for home fires to heat the house.
In the woods I pack very little, I should probably pack more but I do not.
I usually have toilet paper or paper towels and matches. Or just matches and scrounge for tinder.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to teach scouts and adult leaders firecraft. I always got a kick out of seeing a youngster start a fire without matches for the first time. Next, it was no matches and only found tinder. Finally, no matches, no brought tinder, and no brought ignition device.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Normally, the first thing I think of when I hear the word FIRESTARTER is the movie with Drew Barrymore!!

Along with the above starters, don't forget pump hand sanitizer and (my favorite) auto antifreeze (or glycerine) and potassium permanganate.

Dave

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the cotton with petroleum jelly. You can put it in straws, seal the ends and then cut off as needed. Those old powdered candy straws are nice.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to agree. While it is great to have the ability to start a fire without matches or a lighter, it is kind of silly to struggle to light a fire when a cheap butane lighter works faster. I read a survival guide years ago that said the same thing. I have cheap lighters that have been in my tool box for 15 or 20 years and they still work. Butane lighters wont work if they get too cold, but that problem can be solved by keeping them in a pocket close to the body. A simple zip lock bag will keep them water proof. Buy a bunch of them and stash them everywhere.

I use a bic lighter. They are easy and very available.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree. While it is great to have the ability to start a fire without matches or a lighter, it is kind of silly to struggle to light a fire when a cheap butane lighter works faster. I read a survival guide years ago that said the same thing. I have cheap lighters that have been in my tool box for 15 or 20 years and they still work. Butane lighters wont work if they get too cold, but that problem can be solved by keeping them in a pocket close to the body. A simple zip lock bag will keep them water proof. Buy a bunch of them and stash them everywhere.

They don't work at -25F and at higher altitude, they are not reliable. I've tested the 0000 steel wool and 9v battery at over 11000 ft. Works every time even if the steel wool is slightly damp. I keep the wax block fire starter as a tinder so shavings can be put on the wool to catch fire, and then start the larger block. I do carry a lighter though as a possible backup. Both are light and don't take up any room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom