Firewood Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a question about cutting up downed trees on public right of way. On Hwy 44 jsut north of the Bristow exit there are some crews working just inside the fence line putting in what looks like gas lines. They have cut about a 20' wide swath of trees for a couple miles. For some reason some of these cut trees are on the Hwy side of the fence line sorta piled up. Looks to be some pretty decent and sizeable trees on the grass areas between the fence and road. THese sections of hwy shoulder are 75'+ wide or more. I saw a couple of trucks with utility trailers cutting and loading this wood. They were not workers of the utility project. Is it legal to cut and take this wood if it's just sitting there? I thought about pulling off to the project site and asking the workers but they are not working now where the trees are stacked.

What would you do? Would you cut it and take it or not risk the headache? Thanks.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Have a question about cutting up downed trees on public right of way. On Hwy 44 jsut north of the Bristow exit there are some crews working just inside the fence line putting in what looks like gas lines. They have cut about a 20' wide swath of trees for a couple miles. For some reason some of these cut trees are on the Hwy side of the fence line sorta piled up. Looks to be some pretty decent and sizeable trees on the grass areas between the fence and road. THese sections of hwy shoulder are 75'+ wide or more. I saw a couple of trucks with utility trailers cutting and loading this wood. They were not workers of the utility project. Is it legal to cut and take this wood if it's just sitting there? I thought about pulling off to the project site and asking the workers but they are not working now where the trees are stacked.

What would you do? Would you cut it and take it or not risk the headache? Thanks.

Do it till someone tells you that you can’t.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw those piles when I drove by yesterday and thought the same thing. Looked like a lot of oak. If I needed the firewood, I would ask one of the crew wherever they are working. I bet they will tell you to have at it. I bet they have to pay someone to come haul it off, who will likely cut it up to sell themselves.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than likely they were friends of someone on the clearing crew or they had already got permission to be there but there is a off chance that they were there illegally taking the wood since no one was working but in legal terms the trees belonged to the gas company that was having the line put in or even the property owner depending on how the paperwork for the easement is worded.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 years ago I was struggling to find someone to take firewood. I cut down 5 big (as big as they get) Blackjacks, 3 fairly big Hackberries, some other smaller ones. I even cut up the bigger stuff into cordwood (4 foot pieces).

Lots of folks would take it for free if I would cut it up, split it, and deliver and stack it at their house.

I'll burn it in place before I do that.

I finally found a client of mine who brought his 2 sons - twenty somethings - and 3 chainsaws. They filled a 24" gooseneck trailer and hauled it to Colorado. Must have been at least 5 cords.

Probably made a fortune on it. At least I hope they did.

And I finally got the trees gone.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
once upon a time i cleared a site for an industrial complex. there was all kinds of brush trees to be cleared and in the mix was some walnut logs of size and volume that could be processed for lumber. in the contract they didn't care about the trees or brush disposal as long as they were removed etc. i sold those trees as lumber to help offset the job. i had them all cut according to the needs of the mill and piled stacked for retrieval, when over a weekend someone came in and took them. there was also a bunch of oak that i sold to firewood processors for the price of come get it off the site NOW. this saved me from fuel time etc and made the job more profitable. so from experience...... leave the wood alone or if you can perform the service contact the contractor to see if you can work a deal.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The state is VERY active right now spending money. Surely you've seen the increase in road work. Along I 40 a few bull dozers are pushing down trees on the sides and medium. To the best of my knowledge it is state owned timber. I've had the same thought but haven't taken the time to research who might be capable of giving a permission slip to haul it off. I myself would want to be sure I didn't find my with chrome cuffs on.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have pulled called wood off of public and private land, if it was close to the road but I usually gut it up in chunks and take it away to be bucked elsewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom