Firewood Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, just to be clear, the start of this thread was not me intending to go steal a bunch of firewood sitting on the side of the road. It was intended to to see what peoples thought were with this firewood that was once on someone's property and is not haphazardly stacked on the Hwy side of the fence on public property. THe wood isn't stacked in a way other than getting ready to be loaded in end-dumps and hauled off at some point. If I have time I'll see if i can track down the contractors to see what the status of the wood is.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So, just to be clear, the start of this thread was not me intending to go steal a bunch of firewood sitting on the side of the road. It was intended to to see what peoples thought were with this firewood that was once on someone's property and is not haphazardly stacked on the Hwy side of the fence on public property. THe wood isn't stacked in a way other than getting ready to be loaded in end-dumps and hauled off at some point. If I have time I'll see if i can track down the contractors to see what the status of the wood is.

My apologies to anyone thinking I thought OP should go steal wood. Lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with some most in this thread.
Our county commissioner is always clearing roadways so farm equipment can get down the roads. The crews cut the firewood sized into 16" lengths and has posted on social media that if anyone wants it, to come get it. They even put it in small stacks, so it's with permission.
We had some driftwood wash up in the great flood we had three years ago in an area I mow that is county property along the road.
It's been there for that long so I didn't ask anyone and cut enough to fill the cargo compartment in the back of the 4 wheeler. There is enough left to cut a lot more.
Pretty sure nobody will complain including the county as they mow that roadside when I don't.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'm with some most in this thread.
Our county commissioner is always clearing roadways so farm equipment can get down the roads. The crews cut the firewood sized into 16" lengths and has posted on social media that if anyone wants it, to come get it. They even put it in small stacks, so it's with permission.
We had some driftwood wash up in the great flood we had three years ago in an area I mow that is county property along the road.
It's been there for that long so I didn't ask anyone and cut enough to fill the cargo compartment in the back of the 4 wheeler. There is enough left to cut a lot more.
Pretty sure nobody will complain including the county as they mow that roadside when I don't.

Now I’ve always wondered what the law is on getting wood from a WMA. Obviously you can’t use vehicles but I wonder if you could get a day pass or something. There are so many downed trees in the WMA’s up here and they’ve been down for a long time, you’d think the state would be ok with having people go in and clean it up and get firewood.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically if you live in the county your property line goes to the center of the road and the bar ditches are yours but at some point someone sign a roadway easement for the county to put in a road, now city and state are different, in the city the roads are put in by the contractors that is developing the land and can sign over the roadways to the city but they have to be up to city specs and the state usually purchase the land they are going to build on and all the easements

RangerRick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

"Theft or Vandalism of State Property​

It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot at, deface, damage, destroy, remove or steal all or any part of any buildings, granaries, residence, privies or other physical structures, any equipment or machinery, fences or fencing materials, cattleguards, gates, signs, or any other state property on Department-managed lands.

It shall be unlawful to cut, dig, damage or remove any crops, trees, shrubs, timber (including dead standing trees), water, gravel, sand, earth, rocks, minerals or other natural resources other than legally harvested fish and wildlife from Department-managed lands without prior written approval from the Department. Removal of such resources from National Forest lands is subject to the regulations of the U.S. Forest Service.

It shall be unlawful to cut any living trees, shrubs, or other woody vegetation for use as camouflage, blinds, stands or firewood. Fallen dead trees may be so used, but shall not be removed for use off the Department-managed lands.

It shall be unlawful to remove any historical, cultural or archaeological artifacts (including arrowheads) from Department-managed lands."

This is from Dept of wildlife rules for WMA's

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I’ve always wondered what the law is on getting wood from a WMA. Obviously you can’t use vehicles but I wonder if you could get a day pass or something. There are so many downed trees in the WMA’s up here and they’ve been down for a long time, you’d think the state would be ok with having people go in and clean it up and get firewood.
You can't legally pick up firewood or even mushrooms from a WMA. They can't spray for poison ivy in the campgrounds and so on.
In the National forests, you can apply for firewood pickup with a permit. We have done that on our trips to Colorado and other states. It's free, just have to visit an office and get the permit.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I drove by it today (north side of I-44, east of Bristow). You might hurry--there was a guy and a gal with a trailer behind a bro-dozer Dodge loading it onto the trailer. I doubt they could've gotten it all, but who knows.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When Asplund would cut trees I would stop and ask if I could have some of it.
I was told to take all I want and that they usually cut it into shorter managable pieces so people will take it.

BUT I got Permission each time.
Once upon a time I worked for Wright’s tree service and it was the same thing. We would cut everything into 16 ish inch pieces and stack it. People always coming up asking for the wood and lots of people wanted those beds full of wood chips also

Latest posts

Top Bottom