First 10!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bit less power than '06. With max loads at the same bullet weight, the charts show roughly 200-300 less FPS. I don't have any personal experience with '06 though, so I don't know how much difference those 300 FPS really make.
The 300 fps will not give greater accuracy results until you get out over 400 yards or so other than a couple inches.
Past that, out to 1000 yards the .308 goes below sonic with the 30-06 remaining close.
The 30-06 was the darling of the 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry National Matches for many years back in the day but it's been surpassed by the newer, sleeker bullets that fly faster through the air with a higher ballistic coefficient. Too many to list.
For a hunting round it will hold its own or beat with most of the newer calibers at hunting ranges with heavier bullets.
I've exceeded it with a 590 yard shot on an elk that dropped in its tracks but that's at the extreme range of hunting with the correct bullet which was a Barnes 165 grain TTSX that made a complete pass through at that range.
The .300 Savage has identical ballistics as the .308. Don't overlook the classic calibers.

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 300 fps will not give greater accuracy results until you get out over 400 yards or so other than a couple inches.
Past that, out to 1000 yards the .308 goes below sonic with the 30-06 remaining close.
The 30-06 was the darling of the 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry National Matches for many years back in the day but it's been surpassed by the newer, sleeker bullets that fly faster through the air with a higher ballistic coefficient. Too many to list.
For a hunting round it will hold its own or beat with most of the newer calibers at hunting ranges with heavier bullets.
I've exceeded it with a 590 yard shot on an elk that dropped in its tracks but that's at the extreme range of hunting with the correct bullet which was a Barnes 165 grain TTSX that made a complete pass through at that range.
The .300 Savage has identical ballistics as the .308. Don't overlook the classic calibers.
That's an impressive shot. I'd like to get a Garand eventually, but I know I won't be able to fire full power rounds out of it. Still, it seems like a fun caliber to play around with.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.b-tactical.com/product/75022/Hornady3130InterLock303Cal312174grRoundNoseRN100PerBox3130
174gr Hornady round nose. They were listed in the Lyman manual so I thought I'd give them a shot. I also slugged my mosin bore at .313, so they should do pretty well being .312.
Is that .313 in your M39 ?
Depending on the gun, the bore can be anywhere from .308 to .314
I had a 91/30 Izzy that slugged at .316. Shot it in the monthly match, did pretty fair with it after ordering a .316 mould from NOE.
When I sold the Izzy the mould went with it.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sierra has a 180gr bullet that measures .311 if you think that might work for you.

And I'd love to buy that box from you. Just shoot me a PM and we can figure out where to meet. I'm in Norman and thinking of going to Bass Pro in OKC sometime this week if that helps.
I've loaded a bunch of those 180s in Graf brass for 54R. Shoots very well, and deer hate it.

Mats

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is that .313 in your M39 ?

I had a 91/30 Izzy that slugged at .316. Shot it in the monthly match, did pretty fair with it after ordering a .316 mould from NOE.
When I sold the Izzy the mould went with it.
The .313 was my 91/30. So I can use the same diameter bullets for both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom