First bow and arrow. Plenty to do as kids.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well my first real bow and arrow anyway. can't count the numerous tree limb and fishing string ones that you never knew which way the stick would fly or if the bow would break during the pull back.
I got my first bow when I was about 14 and still have it ..a recurve Ben Pearson.
I paid a buddy $7 bucks for it or maybe 8.
Same price I paid for 3 basket case motorcycles at about the same time. One was kind of complete a TC90 Suzuki. that thing was fast.
Onto the Bow.
We used to barely pull it back and lob the arrow beside your buddy and your buddy would catch the arrow .
We got really good at this game and kept launching it faster and faster.
The tip had been removed and a big wad of electrical tape was now the punishing end.
It flew just the same as the field point.
Of course we did not lob the pointy arrow at each other.
And it was to the side of each other not directly at each other, so you had to step over to snatch the arrow out of the air.
We first started out tossing the arrow by hand at each other like playing catch with a ball.
Maybe because I did not play ball I had to toss sticks. Odd things kids do.

Could you see kids today doing that.
I would not mind it if they had a blunt end like we did ..at least it would get them outside and off the cell phone.
One thing when we were kids ..... we never said we are bored.

I never asked what can we do either. Heck most of the time we never talked to our parents as we were busy outside playing.
No one ever got hurt and had to go home either.
Can't say that about sparing with each other when we got into Bruce Lee. :) A few bruises and bloody noses but we all took it as learning curve.. no one ever got mad.
The sparing kept going well into our mid 20's. I remember one family gathering my mother-in-law came inside and told my wife that my buddy Dean and I were fighting.

Wife said No they are just playing... she said No they are hitting each other for real.
Wife said they do it all the time.. They will slow down when someone gets a bloody nose or something.
I will say the learning curve for Nunchakus was brutal though. I still have a set we whacked each other with hanging in the garage.
Fun times.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom