First carry experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had my license for 13 years and tonight is the first time I've carried. After getting my license, I had a change of heart and never felt comfortable with the firearms I owned. They just didn't seem concealed enough and were too heavy.

I actually had mixed feelings while carrying. It felt weird at first but I found that I quickly got used to it. I think wearing a coat helped. Not sure how I will do it in a t-shirt and shorts this summer.

I purchased a Glock 42 today with a blade tech holster. It was comfortable enough but I would love to hear from you guys in regards to a more comfortable "in the waistband" holster.
Thanks,
Gary

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, 13 years!

I've never found a "comfortable" IWB. Getting into better shape has allowed me to tolerate occasional IWB carry of a G19/26 in and old Threat Solutions UCR. Otherwise I carry OWB in a FIST K1 or a revolver in the front pocket.

Good job diving in. Don't stop now.

jhat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my humble opinion OWB is the most comfortable carry assuming a quality leather holster and well made gun belt. With respect to holsters I prefer Adams Leatherworks for 1911's, and High Noon or Mitch Rosen for my other style pistols. High Noon and The Beltman belts have served me well. There are many excellent holster and belt makers out there and I'm sure fellow members will offer up their favorites. Don't go cheap! As they say, buy once cry once. I'm always reading posts from guys/gals that have holsters stashed in a box in some closet that never see the light of day. Check out forums that relate to your type of pistol(s) and find out what their members are using.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tucker Gun Leather "The Answer" is hands down the best IWB holster on the market. It is the original hybrid holster. Its $158 by the time you add the leather lining to the kydex but quality is top notch. I carry a 4" 1911 in one and a just got one for my Glock 17. Their OWB holsters are just as well built. I think I have 6 or 7 holsters from them for different guns and have never been disapointed.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com/the-answer-iwb/

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, 13 years!

I've never found a "comfortable" IWB. Getting into better shape has allowed me to tolerate occasional IWB carry of a G19/26 in and old Threat Solutions UCR. Otherwise I carry OWB in a FIST K1 or a revolver in the front pocket.

Good job diving in. Don't stop now.
Funny, 13 years ago I was a fitness nut and wouldn't have the spare tire issue I have now. Even with the extra weight it wasn't really uncomfortable. However, I only carried it for 2+ hours... All day would probably suck.

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my humble opinion OWB is the most comfortable carry assuming a quality leather holster and well made gun belt. With respect to holsters I prefer Adams Leatherworks for 1911's, and High Noon or Mitch Rosen for my other style pistols. High Noon and The Beltman belts have served me well. There are many excellent holster and belt makers out there and I'm sure fellow members will offer up their favorites. Don't go cheap! As they say, buy once cry once. I'm always reading posts from guys/gals that have holsters stashed in a box in some closet that never see the light of day. Check out forums that relate to your type of pistol(s) and find out what their members are using.
Good idea. Thanks.

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my Comp-Tac MTAC (http://www.comp-tac.com/mtac-holster-10225), supported by a Beltman belt (http://www.thebeltman.net).

I have tried other IWB holsters, and while I have found others to be good, none of them are on the level of the MTAC.
Nice holster. So all surface contact doesn't bother your skin? Or does all that surface alleviate the pressure of the firearm? I'm going to call around to find one in a store so I can see it in person. Thanks.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice holster. So all surface contact doesn't bother your skin? Or does all that surface alleviate the pressure of the firearm? I'm going to call around to find one in a store so I can see it in person. Thanks.

The only part of the leather in contact with my skin is the "tongue" shaped part that keeps the side from touching my skin. The rest of it sits between underwear and pants and doesn't actually touch me directly.

The width of the holster (any holster, really) serves to distribute the weight of the gun and make it more comfortable to carry.

That I know of these are only available from the website (they are made to order), so finding one to look at would likely require finding someone local who owns one who would be willing to let you take a gander...

Latest posts

Top Bottom