First carry experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the OP, I felt the same way carrying for the first time. Kind of a weird feeling, but it quickly soaks in.

Now, its just like brushing your teeth in the morning. Pistol goes into the pocket. Life goes on.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And when theyre not ther ...you feel kinda naked
I use MTAC for the G30...M&P40 and Crossbreed for 1911....CB seems to spread the weight better
I would like to try the AG....looks pretty simple, would also be nice for the jframe

gtxtreme21

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just letting everyone know that so far so good. I've been carrying every day except for New Years Eve. I decided to give this holster a try because I read so many good things about it. https://www.n82tactical.com/products/holsters/
If it doesn't work out then I'm going to give the MTAC a try. I have a nice belt but if it doesn't work out I'll buy one from the site mentioned above. Thanks for all the advice. - Gary

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just letting everyone know that so far so good. I've been carrying every day except for New Years Eve. I decided to give this holster a try because I read so many good things about it. https://www.n82tactical.com/products/holsters/
If it doesn't work out then I'm going to give the MTAC a try. I have a nice belt but if it doesn't work out I'll buy one from the site mentioned above. Thanks for all the advice. - Gary
Even if it does work out, don't be too surprised if you end up with the proverbial "drawer full of holsters" that so many of us have.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the OP, I felt the same way carrying for the first time. Kind of a weird feeling, but it quickly soaks in.

Now, its just like brushing your teeth in the morning. Pistol goes into the pocket. Life goes on.

Same here. Since I no longer fight against drug smugglers, gang bangers or ISIS my Ruger LCP slips into my right front pocket.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had my license for 13 years and tonight is the first time I've carried. After getting my license, I had a change of heart and never felt comfortable with the firearms I owned. They just didn't seem concealed enough and were too heavy.

I actually had mixed feelings while carrying. It felt weird at first but I found that I quickly got used to it. I think wearing a coat helped. Not sure how I will do it in a t-shirt and shorts this summer.

I purchased a Glock 42 today with a blade tech holster. It was comfortable enough but I would love to hear from you guys in regards to a more comfortable "in the waistband" holster.
Thanks,
Gary

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ain't OSA great? Lots of good advice here, so lemme give you my two cents: A Glock 42 doesn't weigh squat and it's a skinny little bugger too, so in reality, a thick, heavy-duty gun belt is NOT as important for CCW the G42 as it is a full size pistol. I carry a Glock 43 pretty much most of the time now days; I can get by just fine carrying it IWB with about any old belt and I prefer a minimal approach to IWB holsters for a small gun like this. My IWB holster for this gun is an RM Lowrider from RMholsters.com. I have been using his products for years and find them to be well made and as comfortable as its gonna get with a foreign object stuffed down inside your britches. I do have a SHTF Gear IWB for this little Glock too, and sometimes will use it if I am going to be out and about all day. Its also well made and for a hybrid, it's as good if not better than most. I prefer the G43 over the G42 for two main reasons; ammo cost is much less and the 9mm trumps the .380ACP. Since ammo is less, I can shoot (practice) more with my 43 than I could had I bought a G42. Now on the other end of the spectrum, I also sometimes carry a either a Glock 19 or a 1911, my selection of belt and holster is now very important because of the weight of my loaded and larger gun that I have to support. Today is going to be a 1911 day; ( I woke up just feeling like being "1911 Man" cause well, cause they are badass). I will use a lined heavy leather gun belt, I think the Looper is the only one hanging in there that my fat azz will fit until I shed the Holiday fat I slapped on...I'm gonna start a diet...tomorrow) and a Kramer #3 IWB holster and be quite comfortable. The increase in comfort comes from not having my dang jeans all drooping down on one side because I have a few pounds hanging off of it. The heavy belt is most important with a bigger gun, and I like Kramer's rigs cause they are very well made indeed and I'm a bit of a holster snob. (I actually have several holsters for each of my carry guns; not that I need them so much as I like them and want them...So, pick a IWB holster for your gun and get a good one. Pretty much; you get what you pay for you know? The RM Lowrider is $60 but I guarantee it is a far superior rig to a $10 Uncle Mike or some similar POS. You can spend close to $100 for a IWB Hybrid and might need one of the heavy duty ones like the Crossbreed for a big gun, but for that little G42, a $59 SHTF or $60 RM is gonna be just fine. For a light belt, I don't think you can go wrong with a Wilderness Tactical 5-stitch. Lots and lots of satisfied people use them. Again, you get what you pay for, so steer clear of the bargain basement nylon belts with cheap, flimsy buckles. If you find you are digging fine holsters and end up like me, you will need to do a room addition to be able to handle them all. Here is an example of one fine rig to drool over. This baby is from Nightingale Leather, a real custom maker and it is a work of art IMO. It's cordovan leather, top-quality grade fine leather too, not the cheap, already-worn-out leather off some sad-ass old cow's ass end that got sent to McDonalds to end up as your lunch, and it's accented with some nice black Elephant hide. It doesn't get much tougher than elephant hide after all. Cheap? Hell no! $140 for this one; but man oh man does it ever look good! This is Nightingale's Griffon V; it is an OWB rig, but I like it a heck of a lot. I also have a super nice Alessi CQC, all black leather holster that is similar to this one but it's not as purty; and I like purty...Feast your eyes:[Broken External Image]

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holster wise I use a looper leather Capone holster to carry my XDS, i absolutely love it and find it to be very comfortable as long as I wear an undershirt and my gun belt. I also have one for my SP101 357 snubby, but I think just due to the dimensions of the gun just make it awkward. Not as big of a fan.

My first few weeks carrying I was uncomfortable with it, but after I got into the swing of things and established routines, it wasn't a big deal. Let yourself get comfortable with it. Go shoot the crap out of your gun at the range. I put 2k rounds through my xds the first 2 months I had it. Establish a routine. For me, pants go on, gun goes on. A couple of practice draws and a function check, load the sucker up, and leave it there. Try different holster positions and different belts to find what you like. I tell the old lady I'm carrying, she knows to not be on my right side and to old hold my left hand/arm. Create a "word". If I say "get back, it immediately means let go and step behind me to my 7 o clock. Make the entire ordeal a conscious effort and turn it into muscle memory. The more I did these things, the more comfortable I became with it. Wearing my pistol for the day is as natural and comfortable to me now as wearing my boots.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holster wise I use a looper leather Capone holster to carry my XDS, i absolutely love it and find it to be very comfortable as long as I wear an undershirt and my gun belt. I also have one for my SP101 357 snubby, but I think just due to the dimensions of the gun just make it awkward. Not as big of a fan.

My first few weeks carrying I was uncomfortable with it, but after I got into the swing of things and established routines, it wasn't a big deal. Let yourself get comfortable with it. Go shoot the crap out of your gun at the range. I put 2k rounds through my xds the first 2 months I had it. Establish a routine. For me, pants go on, gun goes on. A couple of practice draws and a function check, load the sucker up, and leave it there. Try different holster positions and different belts to find what you like. I tell the old lady I'm carrying, she knows to not be on my right side and to old hold my left hand/arm. Create a "word". If I say "get back, it immediately means let go and step behind me to my 7 o clock. Make the entire ordeal a conscious effort and turn it into muscle memory. The more I did these things, the more comfortable I became with it. Wearing my pistol for the day is as natural and comfortable to me now as wearing my boots.

Boots? Comfortable boots? Holy Chit, HoleChit, I haven't worn "comfortable" boots more than a few times since I got out of the Marine Corps. I'm more of a flip-flop kinda guy now. But you are absolutely correct; once you have carried for awhile, it's second nature. I just don't feel "comfortable" now unless there's at least a J-frame Roscoe on me, preferable more. Sometimes, I like carrying an all-steel gun (1911) because after lugging one for so many years, it is just comfortable to me.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boots? Comfortable boots? Holy Chit, HoleChit, I haven't worn "comfortable" boots more than a few times since I got out of the Marine Corps. I'm more of a flip-flop kinda guy now. But you are absolutely correct; once you have carried for awhile, it's second nature. I just don't feel "comfortable" now unless there's at least a J-frame Roscoe on me, preferable more. Sometimes, I like carrying an all-steel gun (1911) because after lugging one for so many years, it is just comfortable to me.

I'm not sure, but you may be the first person who has noticed my name on here. Since the Marine Corps I've stuck with Danners or Twisted X work boots. My average everyday boots are Twisted X leather soles, and truthfully, they are incredibly comfy. I can't wear shower shoes unless, well, I'm in the shower. Haha.

On a more thread appropriate topic, I regret going to small carry guns. Has me completely spoiled. So light and small that carrying all day and concealing isn't an issue. If I carry anything over subcompact it feels like I might as well be carrying a shotgun in my trousers. Heheh

Latest posts

Top Bottom