First crow of the season!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great story TeamTomlyn, thanks for sharing and congratulations on that crow!

I managed another crow this morning after putting out 20 pounds of corn yesterday afternoon, but when I got ready to range it, I find that my range finder is on the blink!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this crow because it was close to where I had the corn scattered out, but I wanted to know the exact distance.

When I went to get my surveyors tape to measure the distance, I find that my rottweiler used it for a chew toy! So it's off to Harbor Freight I go.

I get back from the store and measure off the distance to this crow from my shooting table, and the distance is exactly 98 yards and 6 inches!

IMG_20230113_133517804_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230113_130625296~2.jpg

IMG_20230113_130515731.jpg

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, I can only get one or maybe two long range shots a week with a shotgun, if I am lucky!

I wish Oklahoma had a longer crow season, but March 4th. will be the last day until next Fall. Hopefully I can get a few more birds before the season closes.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My youngest daughter shot and killed her first crow today!

95 yards 1 foot and 4 inches!

Bang.....flop.....dead bird!

IMG_20230117_131413741~2.jpg

IMG_20230117_131429905~2.jpg

IMG_20230117_131359576~2.jpg

I had been busy in the shop since early morning today, welding aluminum car and truck rims, and right after stopping by the house for lunch, my youngest daughter met me at the door and told me these were a couple of crows on the corn pile.

As always, I asked her if she wanted to shoot this one. Her normal answer has always been - I'm afraid I'll miss!

This time though, she said that she felt like it was her time to "make one die"! Boy was I shocked!

I grabbed my gun, a shell, then we slip out to the blind. I get the forend nestled on the sand bag, and a 25 pound shot bag filled a little over 3/4 full of rice is placed under the butt stock.

I help her get settled in behind the gun, and when we look up, there are over 30 crows on the corn pile! We watch them come and go for a good 10 minutes, then one of the crows hops to the right side of the corn pile, which I later learn is where a little pile of leftover french fries had been placed at earlier.

With my daughter ready, I tell her to center the bead on the crow, push the safety off, and slowly squeeze the trigger...

A second after she squeezed the trigger, looking through binoculars, the crow looked like it jumped a foot in the air, laid on it's side and kicked a time or two.

My daughter screamed and announced to the world - I JUST KILLED A CROW!!!

She then took off running with the tape measure, and once at HER dead crow, she put the tape in the middle of the crows body and we both confirmed the exact distance that she shot HER VERY FIRST CROW!

So needless to say, after showing her mom and sister her crow, as well as anyone else who was willing to listen, including neighbors, she is not a bonafide CROW KILLER!

I'm not sure who was more happy between the two of us, but even though it was just a crow, it still made me very proud!

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My youngest daughter shot and killed her first crow today!

95 yards 1 foot and 4 inches!

Bang.....flop.....dead bird!

View attachment 339843

View attachment 339844

View attachment 339845

I had been busy in the shop since early morning today, welding aluminum car and truck rims, and right after stopping by the house for lunch, my youngest daughter met me at the door and told me these were a couple of crows on the corn pile.

As always, I asked her if she wanted to shoot this one. Her normal answer has always been - I'm afraid I'll miss!

This time though, she said that she felt like it was her time to "make one die"! Boy was I shocked!

I grabbed my gun, a shell, then we slip out to the blind. I get the forend nestled on the sand bag, and a 25 pound shot bag filled a little over 3/4 full of rice is placed under the butt stock.

I help her get settled in behind the gun, and when we look up, there are over 30 crows on the corn pile! We watch them come and go for a good 10 minutes, then one of the crows hops to the right side of the corn pile, which I later learn is where a little pile of leftover french fries had been placed at earlier.

With my daughter ready, I tell her to center the bead on the crow, push the safety off, and slowly squeeze the trigger...

A second after she squeezed the trigger, looking through binoculars, the crow looked like it jumped a foot in the air, laid on it's side and kicked a time or two.

My daughter screamed and announced to the world - I JUST KILLED A CROW!!!

She then took off running with the tape measure, and once at HER dead crow, she put the tape in the middle of the crows body and we both confirmed the exact distance that she shot HER VERY FIRST CROW!

So needless to say, after showing her mom and sister her crow, as well as anyone else who was willing to listen, including neighbors, she is not a bonafide CROW KILLER!

I'm not sure who was more happy between the two of us, but even though it was just a crow, it still made me very proud!
Uh oh, she is hooked now and you may be out of the crow shooting business. She will want to shoot them all. 😁

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh oh, she is hooked now and you may be out of the crow shooting business. She will want to shoot them all. 😁
That is fine by me and she is more than welcome to shoot them all!

I have taken Emma on several pheasant shoots, and she just flat out cannot hit a flying bird for anything.

Shooting her crow this afternoon, and with it being a relatively stationary target, it gave her all the confidence in the world, and she really needed that.

And 5 hours later, Emma is still on the phone calling family and friends, telling them about the crow she finally killed.... 😁

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw this guy out splashing around in a mud puddle this morning, and, well, you know.

91 yards 1 foot and a couple of inches.

IMG_20230204_104814567~2.jpg

IMG_20230204_104741048_HDR.jpg

On a side note, we made a trip out to Tall Grass Prairie just before the snow and ice started, and it looked like all the cows are less than two months away from calving.

IMG_20230128_133651331.jpg
IMG_20230128_133644875.jpg

We didn't see any of the big bulls anywhere, but this was the first time we saw deer out in the open prairie's - no less than 200 and all does. Those deer had on their winter coat and were very bushed out and very pretty. I couldn't get a clear picture of them with my phone, and for whatever reason, no one, including myself, didn't even think to bring a camera. Oh well! We will however be back in April to look at all the calves, and hopefully they will have the bulls back out so we can see them too.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My garden is 40-50 yards from my house. I can pretty much head shoot a squirrel or crow at 40 yards with my Beeman R9 177 cal pellet rifle. I will crank open the casement window of the dining room and take a shot. The crows now usually take off if they spot me at the window.

Latest posts

Top Bottom