First day carrying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, yesterday was my first day carrying and I definitely will continue to do so. Having previously lived in MD, NY and CA, there was little to no ability for me to carry before, since at least in the counties I lived in, getting a CCW permit required "proof of an imminent threat", as "self defense" was not considred a valid reason to have a CCW. God bless Oklahoma!

As far as my setup, I was carrying a CZ P07 in a Harry's Holsters Singleton, carried at the 4 o'clock position, with an extra mag in my pocket. I'm about 20lbs fluffier than I was when I was in the military, so concealing a mid-sized pistol isn't really hard for me with my usual attire (usually a Dickies work shirt and cargo shorts or work pants). As my CZ is the only gun I have a holster for, it will be my main EDC firearm, but I am currently looking at other holster manufacturers for my Sig P229, since Harry's doesn't make one for it. I don't have any guns that fit the subcompact category (for summer carry), but I am looking at the FN 509c and the SA Hellcat to fill that need. My next gun related purchase will be to buy some standard capacity mags for my P07 since I bought the gun when I was stationed in San Diego.

One thing I did notice as that I was hyper-aware of my surroundings, the people, the entrances and exits, and opportunities for cover and concealment. That didn't really surprise me, as I've always been pretty good about my situaltional awareness. My dad told me that even when I was a kid and we went out to eat, I would always choose the chair at the table that was up against the wall, he called it "the gunfighter's seat". One thing that did surprise me is that I thought It wouldn't be very comortable and that I would constantly fiddling with it, but the only time I really noticed I had a gun on me was when I was driving.

Kev1Doggy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, yesterday was my first day carrying and I definitely will continue to do so. Having previously lived in MD, NY and CA, there was little to no ability for me to carry before, since at least in the counties I lived in, getting a CCW permit required "proof of an imminent threat", as "self defense" was not considred a valid reason to have a CCW. God bless Oklahoma!

As far as my setup, I was carrying a CZ P07 in a Harry's Holsters Singleton, carried at the 4 o'clock position, with an extra mag in my pocket. I'm about 20lbs fluffier than I was when I was in the military, so concealing a mid-sized pistol isn't really hard for me with my usual attire (usually a Dickies work shirt and cargo shorts or work pants). As my CZ is the only gun I have a holster for, it will be my main EDC firearm, but I am currently looking at other holster manufacturers for my Sig P229, since Harry's doesn't make one for it. I don't have any guns that fit the subcompact category (for summer carry), but I am looking at the FN 509c and the SA Hellcat to fill that need. My next gun related purchase will be to buy some standard capacity mags for my P07 since I bought the gun when I was stationed in San Diego.

One thing I did notice as that I was hyper-aware of my surroundings, the people, the entrances and exits, and opportunities for cover and concealment. That didn't really surprise me, as I've always been pretty good about my situaltional awareness. My dad told me that even when I was a kid and we went out to eat, I would always choose the chair at the table that was up against the wall, he called it "the gunfighter's seat". One thing that did surprise me is that I thought It wouldn't be very comortable and that I would constantly fiddling with it, but the only time I really noticed I had a gun on me was when I was driving.
A good IWB in leather from someone like RGrizzle in Georgia makes a comfortable all day carry for me. I am currently wearing one with my CZ75b

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1672952699838.png
versa carry- versacarry.com - I love this holster as it has both weapon and mag in one, plus a snug fit against my body- I usually just go with button up shirt untucked and it stays covered well. I think I ordered through Amazon and caught it on a special at $19.95

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 335913versa carry- versacarry.com - I love this holster as it has both weapon and mag in one, plus a snug fit against my body- I usually just go with button up shirt untucked and it stays covered well. I think I ordered through Amazon and caught it on a special at $19.95
Looks similar to the Trex Arms sidecar I've been lookin at.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to a new world. Down the road you will occasionally catch yourself checking to make sure it is there or could you could have forgotten it? I only carry my 1911 IWB when I have pants on, actually always when I have pants on. I wore an electrician tool belt in my past life. The weight of a 1911 is just natural to me. After using a Crossbreed Super Tuck a while, I switched and have been happy with a Alien Gear holster which after 5-6 years I had one fail. It wore out at a seam. No problem, free replacement. They give you a 30 day free trial also. I find it more comfortable, flexible, and sweat proof than others I have tried. I usually have a T-shirt draped over, but with a little practice it works well with a tucked in dress shirt also. Good luck to you and stay safe.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Just wait until you're so used to carrying it and become so used to the feel that you forget you're wearing it. At some point you'll think to yourself when you find yourself in a potentially sketchy situation, "I wish I was carrying right now....oh wait, I am!" lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom