First day carrying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, yesterday was my first day carrying and I definitely will continue to do so. Having previously lived in MD, NY and CA, there was little to no ability for me to carry before, since at least in the counties I lived in, getting a CCW permit required "proof of an imminent threat", as "self defense" was not considred a valid reason to have a CCW. God bless Oklahoma!

As far as my setup, I was carrying a CZ P07 in a Harry's Holsters Singleton, carried at the 4 o'clock position, with an extra mag in my pocket. I'm about 20lbs fluffier than I was when I was in the military, so concealing a mid-sized pistol isn't really hard for me with my usual attire (usually a Dickies work shirt and cargo shorts or work pants). As my CZ is the only gun I have a holster for, it will be my main EDC firearm, but I am currently looking at other holster manufacturers for my Sig P229, since Harry's doesn't make one for it. I don't have any guns that fit the subcompact category (for summer carry), but I am looking at the FN 509c and the SA Hellcat to fill that need. My next gun related purchase will be to buy some standard capacity mags for my P07 since I bought the gun when I was stationed in San Diego.

One thing I did notice as that I was hyper-aware of my surroundings, the people, the entrances and exits, and opportunities for cover and concealment. That didn't really surprise me, as I've always been pretty good about my situaltional awareness. My dad told me that even when I was a kid and we went out to eat, I would always choose the chair at the table that was up against the wall, he called it "the gunfighter's seat". One thing that did surprise me is that I thought It wouldn't be very comortable and that I would constantly fiddling with it, but the only time I really noticed I had a gun on me was when I was driving.
Congratulations on carrying (and welcome to Oklahoma!)
I, too, am a bit fluffier than my military fighting weight... :rotflmao: and I find AlienGear holsters (for my SA XD9, my Taurus G3, and my Canik Stingray) very comfortable and easy to use/re-holster. You might check them out, they really are high quality - and affordable, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I did notice as that I was hyper-aware of my surroundings, the people, the entrances and exits, and opportunities for cover and concealment. That didn't really surprise me, as I've always been pretty good about my situaltional awareness.
Whether carrying or not all people should do this. These days people are buried in their phones. I too became even more aware of my surroundings as well. I want to avoid a bad situation and not have to react. It may sound weird but I carry so I don't have to shoot.

BTW I'm at Naval Air Station North Island for the next 3 weeks disarmed.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations on carrying (and welcome to Oklahoma!)
I, too, am a bit fluffier than my military fighting weight... :rotflmao: and I find AlienGear holsters (for my SA XD9, my Taurus G3, and my Canik Stingray) very comfortable and easy to use/re-holster. You might check them out, they relly are high quality - and affordable, too.
I use the Shape Shift and change shells.

TwoNumbThumbs

Marksman
Reaction score
Well, yesterday was my first day carrying and I definitely will continue to do so. Having previously lived in MD, NY and CA, there was little to no ability for me to carry before, since at least in the counties I lived in, getting a CCW permit required "proof of an imminent threat", as "self defense" was not considred a valid reason to have a CCW. God bless Oklahoma!
And we’re glad to have you, God bless!

I'm about 20lbs fluffier than I was when I was in the military, so concealing a mid-sized pistol isn't really hard for me with my usual attire (usually a Dickies work shirt and cargo shorts or work pants). I don't have any guns that fit the subcompact category (for summer carry), but I am looking at the FN 509c and the SA Hellcat to fill that need.
If you’re open to suggestions, I’ll stump for the S&W Shield Plus in a JX Tactical Fat Guy holster with the soft loops. As a guy who is slightly considerably fluffier than I should be, it serves me well.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks similar to the Trex Arms sidecar I've been lookin at.
Trex is all that I carry right now. Eve since they came out with their 2.0 where I can move the gun from appendix to kidney carry, I don’t wear anything else. Plus great 2A company.

Latest posts

Top Bottom