First encounter with an OCer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[snip...]Responsible OC, to me at least, means going about your business in a quiet and discrete fashion....not self-identifying and calling attention to yourself every time you see a guy with a badge.

This. Exactly this. I've not had really any negative encounters with much of anyone, and except for one day when I was in Texas, have OCd every day since Nov 1. If I see an LEO in a store, I smile and nod and go about my business. I don't bring it up with anyone unless they ask me a question. And to tell the truth, 95% of people never even notice.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[snip...] I believe the tactical advantage to open carry is faster draw....but I could be wrong. Anybody care to refute that?
/not directed at anyone in particular

I open carry for four reasons, listed in order of weight in my decision.

1) I believe that it deters criminal attack. The typical mugger, armed robber, etc looks for soft targets.
2) In the hopefully unlikely event that I'll need to defend myself, it's a lot easier and faster presentation (for me).
3) Some people (not all) seeing LACs carrying will condition them to understand that guns in the right hands aren't bad. There aren't many anti's in Arizona.
4) It start conversations with people who are interested in taking responsibility for their own safety, but don't know anything about guns.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
newnation.sg_wp_content_uploads_eat_popcorn_3D.gif

I believe the tactical advantage to open carry is faster draw....but I could be wrong. Anybody care to refute that?
/not directed at anyone in particular

In modern day civilian gunfights how often, if ever, does quick drawing even come into play??

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I open carry for four reasons, listed in order of weight in my decision.

1) I believe that it deters criminal attack. The typical mugger, armed robber, etc looks for soft targets.
2) In the hopefully unlikely event that I'll need to defend myself, it's a lot easier and faster presentation (for me).
3) Some people (not all) seeing LACs carrying will condition them to understand that guns in the right hands aren't bad. There aren't many anti's in Arizona.
4) It start conversations with people who are interested in taking responsibility for their own safety, but don't know anything about guns.

I think you can scratch #3 right off of your list. The general public who first sees someone openly displaying a firearm will have NO clue if you are a bad guy, a crazy guy with a gun, a small man with ego problems, or by chance a law abiding citizen.

From the sounds of your posts it appears that you have not spent much time studying human behavior. Especially in the field of "first impressions". I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and consider that you're probably still a little wet behind the ears. I'm going to suggest that you get a copy of Malcom Gladwell's book entitled "Blink". You'd be wise to read it before you continue to make flawed assumptions about other peoples first impressions. Reading this book might just save your life or someone elses...

http://www.gladwell.com/blink/index.html

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you can scratch #3 right off of your list. The general public who first sees someone openly displaying a firearm will have NO clue if you are a bad guy, a crazy guy with a gun, a small man with ego problems, or by chance a law abiding citizen.

From the sounds of your posts it appears that you have not spent much time studying human behavior. Especially in the field of "first impressions". I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and consider that you're probably still a little wet behind the ears. I'm going to suggest that you get a copy of Malcom Gladwell's book entitled "Blink". You'd be wise to read it before you continue to make flawed assumptions about other peoples first impressions. Reading this book might just save your life or someone elses...

http://www.gladwell.com/blink/index.html

From the article:

In just the first four chapters, I discuss, among other things: marriage, World War Two code-breaking, ancient Greek sculpture, New Jersey's best car dealer, Tom Hanks, speed-dating, medical malpractice, how to hit a topspin forehand, and what you can learn from someone by looking around their bedroom.

First I'ma gonna clean up the bedroom, then I'ma gonna order this book! Thanks for the recommendation. GC and I are gonna have a LOT to talk about inside a week. (I gots me some Amazon Prime. I'll have it read and can start nagging ... errrrrr ... discussing in another 3 days, 1 if it's a fast read ... :wink2:) Thanks for the suggestion!

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I myself OC I have my own reasons to do so none for attention. Now I have had people come up and ask me about my gun and what it takes to be able to carry not only OC but CC and I tell them all I know. Now for GC's encounter ...Great job. Maybe the guy was wanting an LEO to check his ID not for baiting but like a person just turning old enough to buy beer and wants a cashier to ID him/her. Maybe he is a complete idiot. Maybe he likes shiny bracelets . But it is nice to know that there are many LEO who do not hassle people just because they have a badge.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, he was not the LEO who posted that.

I feel fairly confident in saying that you, sir, are a complete idiot. I have no idea what happened to you to shape your view of the world but I feel sorry for you as it certainly seems like you bring a lot of grief to yourself simply because you like being miserable. Ahhhh, well, to each their own, I suppose ...
I love you. In a completely non romantic way that is.

In modern day civilian gunfights how often, if ever, does quick drawing even come into play??
Considering the average civie gunfight is sub 4 seconds, around 3.1 IIRC, pretty much every time. To quote Tom Givens, "In a gunfight, time is your most precious comodity"

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love you. In a completely non romantic way that is.

Considering the average civie gunfight is sub 4 seconds, around 3.1 IIRC, pretty much every time. To quote Tom Givens, "In a gunfight, time is your most precious comodity"

I never deal much in statistics or expert opinions. Just real world stuff. The days of the OK Corral and gunfights at Tombstone are over. If you really think being able to quick draw is gonna save your bacon then you're not paying attention to your surroundings. You need to go out into the world everyday with your head in the game.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I myself OC I have my own reasons to do so none for attention. Now I have had people come up and ask me about my gun and what it takes to be able to carry not only OC but CC and I tell them all I know. Now for GC's encounter ...Great job. Maybe the guy was wanting an LEO to check his ID not for baiting but like a person just turning old enough to buy beer and wants a cashier to ID him/her. Maybe he is a complete idiot. Maybe he likes shiny bracelets . But it is nice to know that there are many LEO who do not hassle people just because they have a badge.

If it's not for attention and the shock & awe factor maybe you could get all Dr. Phil and share your feelings on this subject with us, eh?

Latest posts

Top Bottom