First encounter with an OCer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's not for attention and the shock & awe factor maybe you could get all Dr. Phil and share your feelings on this subject with us, eh?
Need not give any reason to you nor anyone else. They are just my personal reasons.But I thank you for the offer to Dr Phil them with everyone.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well GC, it is a common sight to see uniformed officers here as it is a small town. They shop at the local Walmart and other stores. They frequent the same resturants I do and over the years I've had many a conversation with them over coffee. They buy gas at the same stations. They work as local bank guards. And all of them are pretty laid back about OC.

GC, were you the LEO who wrote here in the forum a while back that you were gonna be checking every person you saw OCing for their license & state issued ID? It isn't mandated that a check be made. It is a LEO's option to ask for the license & ID. Given that so many LEO's around the state don't see the need to do so when just seeing someone OCing... it does seem that who ever that LEO was, that he was choosing to be much more pro active on handgun license checks than the vast majority of his peers.

The guy was clearly excited about the new OC law and wanting to strike up a friendly conversation with you [a LEO] about it ...... and even though he went about it totally wrong, I don't think it was necessary to slap him down by demanding to see his license & ID.... LEO's around here would more likely have said, "Yep, I see you're OCing...so how long you had your license?' Maybe asked a few other questions and seen what his answers were. If no red flags went up, then said, 'Well, gotta go to work" and left. Sounds like you were irritated at him for bothering you and taking up your time...

I always heard that patience with people is a virtue to be admired. As you discribed the encounter, this guy wasn't deliberately trying to be obnoxious or confrontational.. he just didn't know any better. Seems out of order for people to call him a OC Dork and belittle him. Heck, why not have directed him to the OSA forum and told him he might learn some beneficial info about OC?

Now I'm done with this thread... so flame on me all you want. It is getting so reading the OSA forum is almost like listening to a CB radio back in the late 70's... minus the vulgar language. Way to much bad mouthing and attacking people with snide / rude comments over the silliest things that don't amount to any thing of importance.

<sigh>

It takes all kinds to make the world go round. After all, someone has to spread the fertilizer! :D

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm quickly learning that discussions on gun rights are exactly like politics. It's best to put the extremes of either side on one's ignore list. :-)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm quickly learning that discussions on gun rights are exactly like politics. It's best to put the extremes of either side on one's ignore list. :-)

Pfft ... that's no fun ... I'd never get to see what you or SMS posted if I did that! :wink2: (And I like you both ... :kiss:)

Actually the only "extremist" I've seen here so far is David2012 ... Seems like his posts involving interaction between a JBT and an OCer are colored by his misperception that all JBTs are out looking for somebody to beat down -- well, except the ones he deals with, of course. (And there are a TON of them -- seems he just goes from police station to police station -- Only people I know who talk to that many cops in a day are the folks in IA ...)

Like I said in another post, it's a sad way to live your life, but what do you do?? Can't help somebody who doesn't want to help themselves ... (And I still haven't put him on my ignore list either ... I don't think I've ever put anyone on "ignore" ... Was tempted with that DeltaSF fella but I resisted ... LOL)

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pfft ... that's no fun ... I'd never get to see what you or SMS posted if I did that! :wink2: (And I like you both ... :kiss:)

Actually the only "extremist" I've seen here so far is David2012 ... Seems like his posts involving interaction between a JBT and an OCer are colored by his misperception that all JBTs are out looking for somebody to beat down -- well, except the ones he deals with, of course. (And there are a TON of them -- seems he just goes from police station to police station -- Only people I know who talk to that many cops in a day are the folks in IA ...)

Like I said in another post, it's a sad way to live your life, but what do you do?? Can't help somebody who doesn't want to help themselves ... (And I still haven't put him on my ignore list either ... I don't think I've ever put anyone on "ignore" ... Was tempted with that DeltaSF fella but I resisted ... LOL)

I don't think there's anyone, including David2012, who is really extreme on any issue here.

I do think there are some non-analytical, untrained, and self-deluded folks however.......

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom