First new range report with my Beretta APX Centurion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I picked my Beretta APX Centurion up from my FFL he commented on what a nice gun it seemed to be for a "black plastic gun." He was giving me a bit of a hard time because I asked him what he thought about a previous polymer gun I ordered in to him and he kidded me saying the black plastic guns he sees are all the same.

Gun came with hard plastic box, 3 different size backstraps, mag loader, brush and lock, and all the paperwork. I lubed the gun according to the manual instructions, put it back together, and was eager to take it out and see how it would perform at the range. I set up 5, 7, 10, and 15 yard markers on the pistol range and started loading up the magazines. The first thing I noticed was that the texturing on the back on the grip, which feels pretty aggressive when just running a finger over it when it is in a pistol stand, doesn't feel rough at all when being held in my hand or shooting. It helps me get a good solid grip on the gun, but doesn't make it uncomfortable like the texturing on a smaller Kahr CM9 I owned did.

The grip size and shape allows me to get a high hold on the gun with my pinky finger settling on the bottom front of the grip and magazine rather than dangling under the mag as with smaller 9mm like the Kahr and Springfield XD Subcompact when it has a 13 round mag in it. I don't have any problems with a two finger grip and dangling pinky on a gun, but this setup felt good also.

The front sight was easy to pick up and the accuracy was really good. I stated working my way back in my distances after getting a sense of how the gun would feel and shoot up close. I had close groupings at the 5, 7, and 10 yard markers. I was in the smaller rings and some good groupings at the 15 yard mark. I went out to 20 yards and didn't do as well, but the rounds were at least on the paper. Part of this may be due to not doing much regular pistol shooting from distances at beyond 15 yards out at our range.

The APX didn't feel heavy, but had enough heft that it didn't move off target when firing and was easy to replicate shot after shot on the targets. It also helped keep the recoil unnoticeable. The trigger was good and I didn't have any complaints with its function, shape, or size.

I had never owned or even shot a Beretta before this one. I debated on which model APX to buy: the full size, midsize Centurion, or the Compact. I am pleased with my decision to get the Centurion as it has a little longer grip than the Compact with a couple more rounds capacity but is smaller overall than the full size model.

Nice shooting gun with good capacity and Beretta quality...pretty good combination!

Beretta APX Centurion stock photo.png

Last edited:

bigchuck83

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The APX is a very good pistol, I keep trying to tell myself that I don’t need a Centurion since I have a full sized APX I carry everyday. I would like for there to be more Sight options available. Still want to add good night sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still haven't made it to the range with this one......maybe Wednesday morning. Haven't seen any bad reviews on this gun. Only things I've noticed is a relatively small selection of available holsters. I believe I've actually narrowed it down to an OWB from the Beretta store.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people dont like the trigger and think the slide is too wide. I had a full size and a centurion. I like them but had to sell them to pay off some loans.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my trip to the range today, everything that Frank said is the gospel! In my current stable, the Centurion has moved into the top 2. Easy recoil, great trigger, good sights, and very good accuracy. I took my Glock G19 to use as a benchmark. The Glock has been officially demoted to the 'practice squad'.

Thanks again, Frank!! Extremely satisfied!

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my trip to the range today, everything that Frank said is the gospel! In my current stable, the Centurion has moved into the top 2. Easy recoil, great trigger, good sights, and very good accuracy. I took my Glock G19 to use as a benchmark. The Glock has been officially demoted to the 'practice squad'.

Thanks again, Frank!! Extremely satisfied!

Mark,

I am very glad you like the gun and think you made a nice purchase. I thought the Centurion really hit the sweet spot with the grip size falling between the full size and Compact version and with 15 round capacity between the full size 17 and Compact 13.

The Beretta APX line seems really well made and I have not met anyone who owns one who doesn't love their APX. I am a bit surprised they haven't been a bigger seller for Beretta, but there are many quality striker-fired guns out there and maybe the marketing hasn't been as strong as it could have been.

Hope you have many rounds of continued enjoyment!

Latest posts

Top Bottom