First "offroad" experience in a Colorado 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddy of mine came up to predator and hog hunt with me last week. He offered to take his truck, so we piled all our stuff into his late model crew cab 4x4 Colorado.

I had a dead blackjack oak across a road, nothing big, 8-10" diameter trunk, maybe 20' long. Hooked a strap to the tree and the receiver hitch on the truck and my buddy pulled the tree easily. I intended for him to just pull it to the side of the road, but he pulled it into the 3' high bluestem bordering the road. There was some brush and small dead limbs in the grass, my buddy drove right over them with little effort and no problem.......or so we thought.

Seems like GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided to equip a 4x4 truck.....with a plastic fuel tank with absolutely NO shielding........a bare, thin, plastic tank with zero protection.....located even with the rear driver side door/front of the bed.....inside the frame, but hanging below it......not even the slightest bit out of the way. No skid plate, not even a lightweight metal shield......nothing!

Yep, a small stick punched an 1/8" hole through the bottom of a $600 plastic tank.........not a rock or a piece of metal......a small stick.......

Luckily, we had enough fuel to make it into a town where I could get a stainless screw and thread it into the hole to slow the leak enough to get it to my house. We also grabbed a fuel tank repair kit and did our best to seal the tank enough to make the 4 hour trip back to his house. He said the repair was still dripping slightly when he got home.......he may be able to seal the tank, but I doubt it will pass TX state inspection if they look under the truck.......and a new tank is $600+, not including installation.

Makes me glad I don't own a Colorado.......

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, great post! I don't have anything against Chevy, but these sorts of occurrences (real-world use and something fails on a new vehicle) need to be out in the open. I hope they add some sort of skid or protection to the tank in future model years to prevent similar situations.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of like plastic DEF tanks on the newer Duramax, and the trans cooler, and fuel filter locations on the 12'-16' Ford Super Duty's, lots of those have been ripped off. 77' Broncos had rear main plastic fuel tanks, but came with a skid plate.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. Spent a tick over $500 a couple months ago for a fuel tank for the 2015 Chevy feed truck we have.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bet most all of the 4x4 trucks have plastic gas tanks, I know that the Tacoma does. They usually put a plastic skid plate to protect it. Maybe his got taken off or they forgot to install it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom