First "offroad" experience in a Colorado 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot. A Crown Vic could haul that.
No it can't. Not loaded, not in the mountains. LOL.
As we all should know, loading a trailer for proper tongue weight is something that needs close attention, and the vehicle needs to have the capability to handle it including braking, sway, etc.
I've hauled a some big loads on a small Tacoma in the past, and with some misjudgement been shoved across an intersection by the load. Fortunately not been in an accident because of it.
Hence the upgrade to the Tundra. 4:30 towing gears additional sway bar and a 6 speed tranny makes towing pretty easy. The suspension is a tad light though. Some air boosters are in the future.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right. You'd at least need to upgrade to a Focus to get that kind of towing.
Interestingly enough, my grandparents spent around 12 years on the road pulling their 23' bumper pull from Mcallen Tx in the winter to upper Illinois in the summer with a camper club they belonged to using a Ford Fairlane and weight transfer hitch.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, my grandparents spent around 12 years on the road pulling their 23' bumper pull from Mcallen Tx in the winter to upper Illinois in the summer with a camper club they belonged to using a Ford Fairlane and weight transfer hitch.
Ah, for the good old days of full-frame cars. I was researching weight-distributing hitches today when I ran across a discussion about a demo back in the day. Someone put a WDH on an Olds Toronado (the old full-sized full-frame FWD from the '60s), hooked it up to a trailer, then took the rear wheels off the Olds and towed the trailer around. That'd be a sight to see.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah, for the good old days of full-frame cars. I was researching weight-distributing hitches today when I ran across a discussion about a demo back in the day. Someone put a WDH on an Olds Toronado (the old full-sized full-frame FWD from the '60s), hooked it up to a trailer, then took the rear wheels off the Olds and towed the trailer around. That'd be a sight to see.
I saw that commercial back in the day. Actually happened.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They used to make a fifth wheel or goose neck hitch to mount on top of your car like for a station wagon Or a VW bug!
I will not mention what I have pulled with my weenie cars like the Geo metro and others.

Sucks about the fuel tank.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With plastic skid plates just like other manufacturers but you can retrofit with steel.
None of my Toyota’s had plastic skid plates? I have had 8 Toyota 4x4’s all had steel skid plates....... up to a 2017 4 runner all steel? 04 4Runner (all steel) 84 4 Runner (all steel) 1998 Taco (all steel)

Regards,

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Toyota armor plates the undercarriage ....just saying
Come tell that to my Tundra, plastic tank and exposed fuel lines. Had to do an emergency repair from a rock hitting a fuel line and smashed the tank, not hole in the tank . One of my projects before hunting season is forming some shields for the lines and tank !!

Latest posts

Top Bottom