First pistol in a decade. Compact choices.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always had trouble carrying a Glock because of the weight. With a full magazine its heavy. I'm not that big of guy, and after hand surgery options got even more limited. Nowadays I carry a Ruger LCP 380, and a NAA .22 lr in my boot.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always had trouble carrying a Glock because of the weight. With a full magazine its heavy. I'm not that big of guy, and after hand surgery options got even more limited. Nowadays I carry a Ruger LCP 380, and a NAA .22 lr in my boot.
The new LCP Max with 12 +1 is a great option as well. I pocket carry most days and don’t even realize it is there.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty pistol but way more than I'm willing to spend for a tool.

With everything you've told us about ammo, cost, and size, the Springfield XD-40 would seem to fit the bill. 40 caliber pistols seem to sell at a discount compared to the 9mm. It has a 3.3" barrel. And, it feels substantial in the hand. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to call it a "Tool"! (BTW, I do own one of 'em so I can say that!)

Best of luck in your decision!!

Last edited:

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like options, and opinions. And I've bought enough mechanical things that had good reviews only to find out later there was some annoying ass issue that the reviewers didn't seem to come across.

That said, honestly none of the sigs seem to offer me personally anything a generic Glock can't for less money.
I don't want a sub-compact either, I'm grudgingly considering something not full size just for ease(ier) carry.
An M&P is the logical choice, but not overly interesting.
I still love the G19, I just finally "upgraded" from a gen4 to a gen5.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything from the M&P 2.0 series or shield plus have excellent triggers in my experience - very defined, tactile breaking point. Also the CZ p10-s would be excellent - I have and love the less compact p10-c.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Canik TP9 Elite SC for my carry weapon. I really like it, along with all other Caniks I have handled. I have big hands, and 365s and Hellcats are too small for me. I can't stand Glocks, so they were not an option. The Canik is roughly Glock 19 size and weight. I think they are still fairly priced, all things considering. They were extreme values before the panic set in. I have found Caniks to be very reliable, although you will probably want to run 125 grain ammo through them with the stock recoil spring.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on exactly the same search. I haven't been paying a tremondous amouty of attention to the polymer pistols. I thought the M&P 2.0 Compact was the answer, but ended up selling it here. After 150 rounds or so the takedown lever gets pretty warm. This wouldn't be an issue if my left thumb didn't press directly against it.

I'm currently considering the Canik TP9SF elite, Walther PPQ 2.0, and Beretta APX Centurion.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
have several favorites............. but the Shield plus is just a great gun . It is better for my big hands than the Sig 365 and seems to have more of a push so it is easy to get back on target. I also have a couple snubs and a Sig939 I carry, But for everyday go to work the Shield just works for me . Sub $500 price means I am not worried about dings and scratches. And 13 +1 means plenty of firepower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom