First rifle suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good advice above. You said 4 or 5 round magazine capacity. If you want 5 or more you are going to have to get a removable magazine. You can use a blind magazine with 4 rounds in most standard size rounds (473 bolt face).

Troy Boerner

Marksman
Reaction score
Well after looking around aimlessly on the internet my head is spinning with all the options available. So far I like the looks of the Mosin and Mauser rifles with the wooden stock extending almost to the end of the barrel. Are there any other options similar in appearance that are accurate to what I want and would fit my budget?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a stock that reaches almost to the end of the barrel, you’re looking for a mannlicher style stock. The Mauser and nosing don’t have this, but they do have long foreends. If you’re near OKC big boys guns in mustang has several different vintage surplus rifles with mannlicher style stocks. They also have a bunch of mosins to look at. If you go in and ask to have a look at some stuff they would likely be happy to help.

have a look at enfields. Big boys has a bunch too.
AC280B4B-1A54-4817-A769-8D5BA5858AF1.jpeg

Ruger makes their 10/22 22lr rifle with a mannlicher stock as well.
2F9084D1-6440-4B32-BF35-E9EC9A2A35C2.jpeg

You may be able to find a CZ 550FS, but they were limited production that ended in 2018. That should hit your accuracy wants. I think you could find them last year for $550-900. They also make the 455 22lr with a mannlicher stock. great rifles, Iron sights will allow you to practice and familiarize yourself with basics while setting aside cash for a scope.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-fs-6-5-x-55-adj-5-rd-fixed-mag/

Last edited:

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first center fire was a stainless Savage 116 “Package Gun” 270 Winchester from Wallmart. It came with a Bushnell sportview 3-9x40 and a plastic stock. It has done everything I have ever dared ask of it, maybe someday I will shoot better than it does! 30+ years on, I still own it, it now wears a Leupold scope and mounts, SharpShooter Supply trigger and a walnut stock. I plan on keeping it until hell freezes over (or my son asks for it)........

Troy Boerner

Marksman
Reaction score
Not sure why I am being asked target or hunt. I know one is a paper or metal Target and the other one is an animal but if my main goal is accuracy out at about 500 waht is the difference?

500 yards is the furthest I would be shooting.
If you want a stock that reaches almost to the end of the barrel, you’re looking for a mannlicher style stock. The Mauser and nosing don’t have this, but they do have long foreends. If you’re near OKC big boys guns in mustang has several different vintage surplus rifles with mannlicher style stocks. They also have a bunch of mosins to look at. If you go in and ask to have a look at some stuff they would likely be happy to help.

have a look at enfields. Big boys has a bunch too.
View attachment 195962

Ruger makes their 10/22 22lr rifle with a mannlicher stock as well.
View attachment 195963

You may be able to find a CZ 550FS, but they were limited production that ended in 2018. That should hit your accuracy wants. I think you could find them last year for $550-900. They also make the 455 22lr with a mannlicher stock. great rifles, Iron sights will allow you to practice and familiarize yourself with basics while setting aside cash for a scope.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-fs-6-5-x-55-adj-5-rd-fixed-mag/
That is extremely helpful I didn't know there was a name for what I was trying to portray. mannlicher style. Got it ... So for what I would ultimately desire I would need to find a modern rifle that's going to have the accuracy I want with this style stock attached.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure why I am being asked target or hunt. I know one is a paper or metal Target and the other one is an animal but if my main goal is accuracy out at about 500 waht is the difference?
One difference is that you won't be lugging a bench rest and sandbags along on a hunt... :D

That's generally how precision target accuracy is achieved.
:drunk2:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

500 yards is the furthest I would be shooting.

That is extremely helpful I didn't know there was a name for what I was trying to portray. mannlicher style. Got it ... So for what I would ultimately desire I would need to find a modern rifle that's going to have the accuracy I want with this style stock attached.

Because if You want to shoot targets, then accuracy and ammo prices are going to matter a whole lot more than ballistic performance on your desired game animal. If you want to shoot deer, you cant legally use a 223, but 223 is great forsmaller game and makes for an affordable accurate target round at under 500 yards. There's no sense shooting a $2-3 large game hunting bullet at a target that would be shot just as well with a $.70 bullet. Or an affordable small calliber bullet at an elk that should be shot with previously mentioned $2-3 bullet. Also, most target rifles are best served with a heavy profile barrel, but hunting with such a heavy barrel sucks pretty bad if you plan on moving a lot. My 308 target rifle weighs just about 17lbs loaded up, but my do everything hunting rifle weighs right under 7. I hate dragging my 308 around. Do you intend on doing any hunting? If so, what and where?

I'm trying to find modern rifles with said stock, and it looks like youre limited to:

the discontinued $800ish CZ 550 FS, https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-550-fs-6-5-x-55-adj-5-rd-fixed-mag/

$2700ish steyr SM12 Mannlicher, https://www.steyr-arms.com/en/hunting-rifles/sm12/

and the limited edition single shot ruger number 1 in hard to find 257ROB https://www.ruger.com/products/no1/specSheets/21318.html.

I'm trying to find other options in current production but cannot at this moment.

Search gunsamerica for other used/discontinued options. All I am seeing in the way of centerfire rifles start at $1200 and go up to $24000.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/s/mannlicher

You could always pick up a common thin barrel profile bolt action repeater from one of the brands listed earlier in the post, and buy a wooden stock for it. Boyds makes wood stocks, Richards make semi fitted (you need to do a little work and finish it to your liking) stocks, I bet you could ask about them making you something more of your liking as well. https://richardsmicrofitgunstocks.com/

Savage makes a decent rifle, and within $20 of your pricepoint you could get a wood stock and a cheap scope to start on. https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=22550

Winchester makes the xpr in a wood stock at a similar price point.
https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/xpr/xpr-current-products/sporter.html

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a custom built rifle in 7WSM for both hunting and long range steel targets. Fully loaded, it weighs roughly 18 pounds. It could have been built lighter with a different barrel profile but I went with a 26” MTU Bartlein barrel. It has a muzzle diameter of 0.93”. I shoot the same bullet, powder, primer, and brass for hunting as I do for long range steel. I’ve taken game at over 700 yards and hit steel at 1,500 yards. It’s not something I would want to hump in the mountains but it works for me during deer and antelope season. Where I deer hunt my walking distance is a little over a mile and hunting antelope is done a lot from a pickup.
1EF85924-9461-430A-9EDD-58BDD8426AC5.jpeg

Recently I bought a Tikka T3 CTR in 260 Rem, replaced the stock with a chassis and added a muzzle break. It’s cheaper to reload for, lighter to carry, and almost as accurate. The furthest I’ve shot steel with it is 750 yards and I’ve only taken a hog with it at 273 yards. I use this rifle as my training rifle and I hunt with it.
13157B65-C5DB-40A7-9F18-5329FF1EE8F2.jpeg

If you notice, neither stock fore end goes to the muzzle, and there is a reason for it. To maximize accuracy potential you want the barrel free floated from the action forward. This means the barrel does not touch the fore end. If it did it would degrade accuracy due to barrel flip/barrel harmonics. Another item is the action is bedded to the stock or is in a bedding block or “V” block. This marries/mates the action with the stock/chassis eliminating action movement. Accuracy is all about repeatability through consistency. Having a rifle action that stays consistent in the stock is very important. Lock time is another consideration. That is the time between when the sear breaks and the firing pin strikes the primer. This mil/sec time is generally when a shooter induces movement into the weapon system. Some WWII rifles have very slow lock times.

I hope this helps

Latest posts

Top Bottom