First shot always high left 100 yard BR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So today I took my son to the range. We did some work on the bench rest at 100 yards. Gun is noting fancy an old Remington 597 with a VQ target hammer and a Nikon 3x9 rimfire and CCI Standard velocity ammo. He has shot combined military the last couple months at the range and his groups always have at least 1 flyer using a club trainer. So the plan was to have him practice today with no pressure. Take his time play with the scope whatever he wanted to do.

Today the wind was supposed to be less than 5 today it was probably 7-8 most of the morning. He was shooting off a Rock BR front rest and rear bag. My main goal was to get him used to making scope changes and checking the spotting scope. I had him shoot 5 shot groups multiple times. He consistently would put the first shot high left. I am talking a few inches high and left. This was after he made scope adjustments and was settled in. After talking to him about it and my belief it was him jerking the trigger. On his last group he purposely held low right without saying anything to me and it hit right where he aimed. Any ideas what I am missing. His second and third shots were double taps multiple times. I made sure he was keeping his cheek weld the whole time, had the stock tight to his shoulder and trying to pull at the pause in his breath. I even had him try some eley ammo same thing. I wasn't to concerned with group sizes just that each time his first shot goes bonkers. He was shooting 4 mags in a row of 5 shots each. Then we would patch target and go again.

Anyone have an ideas what is going on?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I assume he only adjusted the scope once and not any more adjustments the rest of the shooting period.

If he adjusted the scope and shot 5 then adjusted and shot 5 and adjusted and shot 5 more then the scope needs a slight tap tap tap to settle it in.

Have you shot For groups with it. maybe a new shooter.

This is a semi auto with a magazine right.
Is the first round hand chambered each time. Maybe letting the gun auto chamber the other 4 has something to do with the flier.

Just thinking out loud here.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes he shot a set of 5 twice then we made scope adjustments. After those first 10 shots the scope was left alone. I am confident the scope is fine as I have used the gun for a while with it on there with no issues. I shot a few sets and didn't have the issue he had.

It is a magazine feed semi auto. We are using 4 known good magazines. It has a last shot hold open and after the mag is empty he swaps to another mag preloaded with 5 rounds. This is one reason I don't think its a cold barrel. Not a lot of time between shots 5 and shot 1 of the next magazine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot a few sets and didn't have the issue he had.

This confirms the issue is the shooter and not the shootee.
Is he using the same part of the finger on the trigger each shot? Watch for the tip of the finger on the first shot, and then him wrapping the trigger to the second pad with the next shots. That can cause high-left.
The issue is with the initial trigger pull or maybe anticipating the first shot with a little flinch. Watch his eyes at the shot and see if he shuts them before the first shot.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Young shooters are often eager to see where they hit, whether scoped rifle or shotgun. It takes almost zero head lift to shoot high with a scoped rifle, a little more with a shotgun, but both result in high shots. Watched kids and even adults miss easy shots at turkeys lifting their head slightly trying to see the "hit", resulting in shooting high.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Young shooters are often eager to see where they hit, whether scoped rifle or shotgun. It takes almost zero head lift to shoot high with a scoped rifle, a little more with a shotgun, but both result in high shots. Watched kids and even adults miss easy shots at turkeys lifting their head slightly trying to see the "hit", resulting in shooting high.
Come out to the skeet field and I’ll show you how an adult misses!

Latest posts

Top Bottom