First Shots with the Ruger American Compact 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my son in law bought a Ruger 9mm American compact pistol and brought it over to break it in. We ran 300 rounds of UMC 115 FMJ through it passing it between four different shooters. First off no malfunctions of any type right out of the box. Weapon ran flawlessly. Two shooters seemed to shoot consistently low with it but they were the two least experienced shooters. I found if you watched your fundamentals it would shoot right where the sights pointed and I had several good runs on the falling plate section. Trigger had a definite two stage feel to it with initial pull being light then stacking up some before break. Pretty much how all striker fired guns feel to me. Magazine changes went well and the slide was easy to grip during manipulations. I have to say as far as Ruger auto pistols go I much prefer the American to the SR series especially aesthetically.
My daughter really liked the American and actually out shot my son in law with it. I suspect that made for a long ride back home for him.
I would rate this gun as an excellent entry level CCW or home defense pistol for the more price point conscious shooters.
compact.jpg

Last edited:

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Nice! I used to have a Ruger P95DC. It would constantly shoot low with 115-grainers. I switched to 124s and it shot exactly to point of aim. Wish I still had it, but I bought it from a friend who needed money with the promise that I wouldn't sell it to anyone but him unless he said other wise. I kept my promise.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger makes a great product ... but they need more "warnings" on their guns.

Read instructions before using def needs to be there. I always look at my frame before I shoot then reference the owners manual...

And it's uglier than a glock. At least it's cheap and works which most Rugers do it will be a good low cost option

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom