First squib ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
First and foremost, very glad you were not injured. Secondly, I would Weigh them all (rounds) that remaining in that box and give the manufacturer a call @ (208)-746-3668 with the data. Obviously you have uncharged rounds. I would make the assumption that the entire lot had issues that they are aware of and they would make it right. Scary stuff right there. Again, glad you were not injured.

David

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your concern. The thought of squibs have always scared me. Im going to call them in the morning before I do anything else. I thought about weighing them but these are all different headstamps and with a pistol charge being so low Im not sure that I can detect the lack of any powder. If Im stuck with it I will surely weigh the whole bunch and start pulling the light ones and at least Ill have the components.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man. Glad you aren't hurt and I sure do hate to hear about this. I logged in just now, for one reason, to remind folks/or maybe just let them know that FM has a flat rate deal of $7.50 shipping going on right now and very good prices on ammo. All their 9mm is 5% off anyway. I just ordered 1,000 rounds of new 124 Gr 9mm FMJ from them too. (Crap). I think it was like $9.25-9.50 per box of 50. A few years back, a bud and I were shooting with a noob down at Big Boys and the noob had a squib. He was shooting a Glock 26, and we all know that means it couldn't possibly be the gun's fault. So we looked at the boolets, and sure enough, t'was FM 115 gr FMJ . Well, a short time later, me and the same shooting bud was at the range and my bud had a squib...once again, the boolets wuz those dang FM rounds as best I recall. Up until just recently, FM has enjoyed a good rep, but the times seem to have changed as of late and their QC seems to have gone downhill. Of course, it's too late now to cancel or change my order, so I guess I'll have 1,000 rounds of their cheesy ammo to slowly shoot ( Dribble? Trickle?) out of my guns from them.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope yours are good but be careful. I know a lot of people that have shot a lot of it and like it. Of course the first time i use them i have 3 squibs in first 10 rounds. I cant believe the gun wasn't hurt. Even if they send me replacement itll make me nervous. Try to remember not to tap rack bang if it just goes click.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad you weren't hurt. I used to buy alot of their ammo and never had any problem but my last order about 6 months ago had several rounds that seemed underpowered and wouldn't cycle the slide. I also had 5 rounds fail to feed and get jammed half way in the chamber from one box of 9mm. Only time my cz has ever jammed. I think they may have outgrown their qc just a bit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your concern. The thought of squibs have always scared me. Im going to call them in the morning before I do anything else. I thought about weighing them but these are all different headstamps and with a pistol charge being so low Im not sure that I can detect the lack of any powder. If Im stuck with it I will surely weigh the whole bunch and start pulling the light ones and at least Ill have the components.
Your correct. There is such a variation of brass weights due to different manufacturers specifications that its impossible.
In my .45 I was loading away on the progressive, and in the corner of my eye caught the powder measure going up and down when a case came through its station.
I stopped, corrected the issue, and took the last hundred rounds out of the run and weighed them to determine how many may have not got a charge. Got several light ones, and broke them down to find zero or little powder in the case. Felt pretty confident that I'd found any, but the next day at a match, had two squibs, and took myself out of the match for the rest of the day. Getting home, broke down the rest of the ammo and found several other empty or almost empty cases.
Then measured brass weight. I was amazed at the difference in .45 brass per different manufacturer. 2 things learned. One, don't be distracted at the loader by anything. I was in the shop with the stereo blaring, and lost my concentration on what I was doing.
2, put an eyeball or use a powder cop die on every load to establish there is actually powder in the case. It might slow one down a bit, but it sure does make one more comfortable at the range knowing a squib is never going to happen due to the loader inattention.
Been years since that incident and has never got out of my mind since shooting thousands of reloaded pistol rounds a year with zero squibs. Those progressive's can lull one into being complacent after a long stretch on the handle.