First Successful Goose hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out this morning with my Father-in-law, August, and what I guess would be my uncle-in-law via two marriages, Doyle. It was a fun one. I was told it's not always this simple and that I shouldn't let myself get spoiled.

We got out to the field about 6:15. We were hunting a wheat field on the west side of Norman. We setup a couple dozen decoys about 20-25 yards away from our fence row. We had 4 trees on the fence row to sit up against for cover.

From where we were sitting we could see the lake that the geese were roosting on. We were to the West of them and as the sun rose, the sun and sky were reflecting off the calm water. We could see the geese hanging out in and around on the lake. Some were on the shore line stretching their wings, others were swimming around in the water.

Eventually they started congregating on the shore and flapping their wings and around 7:30-7:45 they took flight. As I turned to face the decoys, I told Doyle they were in the air. He honked at them a couple times. I had gone to freeze mode (I had been told by more than one person DON'T MOVE when they are coming in.) Seconds later they came back into my vision again. The geese were just off the ground when he said, "Take 'em!" We all jumped up and let them have it. I only fired twice as I wasn't sure of the range of my gun and they were flying away quick. Later we would confirm that I got one and they each dropped two.

One of us had winged one also and it was walking away. Seeing how I was the youngest guy in the group, Doyle said, "Hey Jev, go get that bird." So I started to head out after it. I was just about 15-20 yards out from the fence row when I realize there are 2 more flocks in the East headed right towards us. I freeze. Doyle and August finally saw them too. About the time they yelled for me to "get back over here," the first flock (a good 30+ birds) sees me and cuts South-West. I make it under the trees as the second flock of about 15-20 geese was getting close. So I freeze again. They come in and as they are just about to land, Doyle yells "Take 'em!" I jumped up and get my gun to my shoulder and he yells "NO! Don't take' em!" Later Doyle would tell me that it had occurred to him that we might have a limit already because he didn't know our counts.

The geese had landed. Far as I know, the rule is DON'T MOVE when the birds are close. I could tell by their heads up they were watching us. So here I am gun up to my shoulder and trying not to move. It kind reminded me of military school when we had to stand in attention with our arms out to the side rifle in one hand. This went on for what seemed like forever, but I bet it wasn't more than a minute. I'm starting to shake. Just as I've had about enough of this they quit watching me and proceed to start eating. I let my gun down.

After thinking about it and talking with August, Doyle realizes we can get 3 more birds. So he sends me and August out to flush them so we can get some in closer for a better shot. So these were definitely Native geese. They let us walk right up to them and we aren't 20-25 yards from them before they take flight. August and I each drop one and I wing a 3rd.

I head off for the injured goose and realize that the first injured one is MIA. The second injured one is hightailing it for the tall grass on the fence row on the other side of the pasture. I finally catch up with and dispatch of it promptly. I was carrying it back to our spot when low and behold there laying down and looking at me like a lion stalking it's prey was the first wounded goose. I wasn't 15 yards from it. I figured man it sure looks mean but I guess I better go put it out of it's misery. As I approach, it turns and runs fast as it can wings flapping but not flying. I quickly laid him to rest right there.

I headed back to the fence row with my gun and two birds in tow. Let me tell you these geese are heavy. They didn't seem like it at first but after a hundred yards they start to get heavy. When I get back there they have laid out all the other birds in a row by some of the decoys. I laid they two I had down with them and counted. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9. I looked up to the guys and said, "Well, I guess were done." They both said, "Yep."

We loaded up and headed back to the house. It was 8:05.

We had breakfast and spent the rest of the morning plucking and breasting out the birds. All in all we plucked and gutted 4 and then parted out the rest. I'm going to try smoking them different ways and I might even try roasting one of the whole birds. I figured I'll try lots of different things with the rest of them. I did conclude that unless they are just fabulous, I won't pluck another whole bird except for maybe Christmas.

All in all it was a great day, one i won't forget. I hope to have many more like it in the future too.

Thanks for reading and sharing my hunt. I plan to start hunting deer next year. I can't wait!

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love all types of hunting, but there is nothing like goose hunting....my absolute favorite! Sounds like you guys had a great hunt. Thanks for sharing it!

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've been watching our pond for ducks and have noticed good numbers of geese. Might have to invest in a goose call and some decoys.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Believe me goose is not "fabulous".

Being a wild game, your probably right.

However, I was talking to a DU member down in Shawnee today. Goose hunting is his favorite. He told a story of how several years ago he encountered a guy at a DU event that was a french chef. The guy had cooked up some ducks and geese that were "fabulous." When he asked they chef what he had done he was told the secret. Hang the birds in refrigeration (32-42 F) for 5 days. Hang them by the neck feet hanging to the bottom. Do this before cleaning them. Apparently something happens in this time that removes all the game flavor from them. I imagine that all the blood runs to the feet or legs.

It's too late for this round but I plan to try it with the next bunch. Hopefully it will be cold enough I can leave them outside or in the garage.

packrat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you find a good way to cook them, please post it. I loved goose hunting until I got the first one and tried cooking it. Never did find a great way to prepare them.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you find a good way to cook them, please post it. I loved goose hunting until I got the first one and tried cooking it. Never did find a great way to prepare them.

Well I found the following over at goosehuntingchat.com.
I haven't tried it but he said it's great.

MY KIDS & WIFE FINALLY LIKE GOOSE MEAT

Postby goosechaser125 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:43 am
Take clean goose breast (clean as recommended in other forumns) Put breats in crockpot/slowcooker, fill with water,add three whole potatos, two whole onions, four whole carrots, and four chopped sticks of celery, sprinkle on about 1/2 tsp of garlic powder or garlic salt, cook on low for 10-12 hours, after cooking remove the carrots, potatoes, onions and goose breast clearing off all the celery and other floating stuff from each piece, serve in separate dishes. For the first time in 23 years my wife liked the goose I cooked, all of the gamey flavor is gone. (I liked the "gamey" flavor of geese myself)

In the meantime I smoked a breast with the skin on and it made a pretty good sandwich today. I have 2 on the smoker right now. They have the skin on. One was rubbed with salt and pepper like we do our turkeys and the other in rib rub like we do our turkey breasts, ribs, brisket and pretty much everything except whole turkeys.

I'll probably try the stew thing in a few days. Oh and I have a dozen tenders soaking in salt water now. I plan to bread and fry them in the next day or two.

Jev

Latest posts

Top Bottom