First test loads but too windy to shoot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ha! I'm gettin' tired of you askin' if we're gettin' tired...
:D

Seriously, I really like it when you and other folks post projects. Some of us don't (or can't) get out and do much, and y'all's projects are a great way to learn about stuff we're not familiar with (and often when we are).

Keep 'em coming. :drunk2:
I've got some family vacation films that would make Randy Quaid look high class, and the Griswalds international jet setters.

Oldman62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could never get tired of reading about someone reloading and seeing the results of the testing. I will enjoy seeing and reading about the results.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could never get tired of reading about someone reloading and seeing the results of the testing. I will enjoy seeing and reading about the results.
I'm still hoping for a lull in the wind but that's just not going to happen. I don't want to shoot just to be shooting......wait that's a lie on Easter. I like to shoot regardless of the reason. In this situation, I really want to develop a load for my gun in the 6.5 creedmoor so I can move on to the Grendel and so on. Just want to do the best I can with this process. That's why it took so long to reload my first rounds. I want new things to be right. I even loaded a few rounds that I didn't fully case prep. They were shot from my RAP and I just wanted to put a few more rounds down her before I let her go and they are once fired in that gun so should be a perfect fit. I think I got very lucky with that RAP. It's solid but like I said, I had a mission on the precision and reloading for the precision and I'm there. Along with that, I have my Grendel but in that 24" ar platform, I think I'll be running a bunch of rounds through that semi auto.
With setting up 3 to 4 round loads, and using my chrono, I'll be able to find that sweet spot between a few grains. I still think the Hornady match 140 will be my go to but once I have it locked down, I'll try Sierra and Nor to see if I can improve. I'm going to be shooting it at hard distance and I'll need the best I can produce.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try some break cleaner in the tire and put a match to it. I will visit you in the hospital.

Room #203 I look forward to seeing ya..:explode: BTW thanks for the bright idea.. LOL, good thing I wasn't born yesterday..:pms2:
In for dinner I'll put some rounds down after and see if the MIL wants to go while she's here..

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had issues with the chrony closer than 20 feet giving erratic readings.
Just a heads up and the Hornady or imperial sizing die wax if not removed from the case mouth with a Q tip or other method would send a flier out of the group.
Even neck tension when seating and on the release of the round really makes a huge difference in accuracy.
You know this though.

Good luck and I never get tired of a good story.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Room #203 I look forward to seeing ya..:explode: BTW thanks for the bright idea.. LOL, good thing I wasn't born yesterday..:pms2:
In for dinner I'll put some rounds down after and see if the MIL wants to go while she's here..
I've seen a dozen seated with starting fluid and lighter. Never seen anyone hurt from it. My goto method is running a ratchet strap around the tire right in the center of the tread, pull valve core and lock air hose straight to stem. Gotta get all the unrestricted air flow ya can. Then whoop that tire with a sledge if needed.

Sorry for the thread derailing Steelfingers!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had issues with the chrony closer than 20 feet giving erratic readings.
Just a heads up and the Hornady or imperial sizing die wax if not removed from the case mouth with a Q tip or other method would send a flier out of the group.
Even neck tension when seating and on the release of the round really makes a huge difference in accuracy.
You know this though.

Good luck and I never get tired of a good story.
You'd be surprised at the massive amount of things I have no clue about. Ha.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a dozen seated with starting fluid and lighter. Never seen anyone hurt from it. My goto method is running a ratchet strap around the tire right in the center of the tread, pull valve core and lock air hose straight to stem. Gotta get all the unrestricted air flow ya can. Then whoop that tire with a sledge if needed.

Sorry for the thread derailing Steelfingers!
I've done that with golf cart and mower tires. Such a pain in the butt made even a bigger pain when your compressor is not putting enough air out...fast enough.
I've see the carb cleaner thing done a few times and almost used it on a new tiny front wheel of a toro zt that I just couldn't get to catch. In a pinch, I'll run a rope around it and just use a piece of pipe to tighten it up.
What can I say. Poor people make do.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hehe... I have a flatbed trailer with trailer house axles, and those 12 ply tires don't give much.

I've used a come-along, pipe in a chain, and starting fluid. The starting fluid works best IMO, but you have to have the wheel off the ground for anything to work.

Right now they're all broke down and probably ruined. Hired a guy to do some work a few years ago and he aired up the tires on everything he moved... except the trailer.

Broke all 4 of 'em loose. I seem to be surrounded by idiots. :/

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hehe... I have a flatbed trailer with trailer house axles, and those 12 ply tires don't give much.

I've used a come-along, pipe in a chain, and starting fluid. The starting fluid works best IMO, but you have to have the wheel off the ground for anything to work.

Right now they're all broke down and probably ruined. Hired a guy to do some work a few years ago and he aired up the tires on everything he moved... except the trailer.

Broke all 4 of 'em loose. I seem to be surrounded by idiots. :/
I might have dug a hole and filled it with him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom