First time coyote hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I may get to do a little coyote hunting this weekend for the first time. It will be on 80 acres somewhere around Ada.

The guy I'll be hunting with has some experience but is a little green. Any tips?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyotes will typically want to move downwind of you to get a sniff of what you are. When you pick your area to hunt/call try to find where the wind is blowing your scent into an open area where coyotes won't be, yet keeping an area downwind open for shooting if they move that way.
Where you set up, and scent control is the most important part of the hunt. You can have have all the whiz bang, most expensive calls in the world, but if your setup is not well thought out, you will never see one.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Morning:
Get in position before daylight, and stay off to one side of game trails. Be still, be quiet. Personally, I wouldn't use calls at this time.

Evening/Night:
Again, get in position well ahead of hunt time and stay off game trails. Game calls give better results in the evening in my experience, but for recorded calls, use a good quality device (predators can discern electronic hiss/noise that you cannot).

In any case, don't miss a good shot. ;)

Just my 2¢, YMMV.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

One more thing... My options for a rifle are 22LR or 30-30.

I'm guessing the 30-30 may be a bit much but the 22 may be too little.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may get to do a little coyote hunting this weekend for the first time. It will be on 80 acres somewhere around Ada.

The guy I'll be hunting with has some experience but is a little green. Any tips?

Do you know if the place you'll hunt has any deer feeders? I have a lot of luck hunting coyotes and bobcats around mine. They seem to hang out pretty close to catch squirrels and birds that come for the corn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom