First time Hog Hunting, I need some tips guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the title says, I recently have had the opportunity presented me to go track down some hogs. Met the girlfriend's dad for the first time the other day and the third sentence out of his mouth was "You hunt? I have a hog problem I wanna get taken care of next month, we should go shoot some hogs". God bless this man. Needless to say, I enthusiastically accepted the offer. No details yet, and I have no clue where as of now, but from my understanding, he means what he said.

My Problem is, I have never been hog hunting. Have wanted to for years, just haven't yet. I am an upland game hunter. Dove, quail, and the like. I love going after prairie dogs and coyotes. This is a bit foreign to me, and aside from a couple videos and a couple crappy stories I have heard, I have no clue what I am getting in to. A couple pointers would be great.

First, would my .223 AR be sufficient? Can I use standard 30RD mags? Its More or less a simple lightweight do all rifle I use for my other varmit adventures. I don't think I'm gonna have the extra cash to get a hold of a .300BO upper or other larger caliber I hear most people using for hogs in this short of a notice. If a .223 is sufficient, is there a suggested round that you guys use? Store bought only, I don't reload at the time being.

Second, side arm. I have had a buddy get attacked by a hog before while hunting them, and he swore a sidearm could have saved him several stitches. With hunting hogs out of other seasons, does the minimum handgun barrel length still take effect? What kinda round would you suggest in a .357? Or would that just be a joke?

Third and Finally, cammo and scent. How necessary is cammo and scent blocking? What should I gear up for? Just some jeans and a camo shirt/hat? or do I need to get crazy with it? Upland game I just wear chaps and an earth clored shirt with my blaze orange, Prairie dogs I go kick it old school and break out my MARPAT frog gear and go crawl in the sand out in the panhandle, haha.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
223 is sufficient. Get a some pointed ammo and shoot them forward of the shoulder. Behind the shoulder, like you would for a deer, is a gut shot on a hog.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your AR is fine. Get premium bullets though. Varmint type rounds won't work reliably. No mag or caliber restrictions on a handgun for hogs.
DrJJ is correct. Forward shot, or in the ear.
If the pigs have been pressured, they will be likely nocturnal, only coming out at night. If there isn't a feeder, get one out, and make sure its hanging from a tree or on sturdy legs that are anchored. They will push it over otherwise.
Pigs don't have good vision, but they have good smelling capabilities and can hear great.
I put a bow stalk on one at the army ammunition depot once during a rain storm. Got within range, stood to shoot, and a tiny twig snapped under my foot. The pig is not like a deer. They don't freeze to see what the trouble is. They assume trouble is upon them, and haul butt.
If you really want to help him and get more pigs off the property, get on youtube and learn how to trap them. Shooting only gets a couple, and they leave the place.
Pigs are eaters of opportunity. If pressured, they move, and might not come back for weeks or longer.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
His wife found out about the girlfriend and that was that. ROFLMAO! couldn't resist that one.
Just kidding. How did it go? 2 1/2 months with no follow up is a long time.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use an AK. We put corn out, where we see sign of them, for a few days to get them coming in. They are real smart. Make sure your first shot is a good one because they are going to scatter FAST. I have used other rounds, including 223. It's shot placement.
Get down wind and you'll be fine.
As far as side arm, bigger is better but if it ends up you having to use it that means the hog is charging you and you had better be able to shoot under pressure because it's not going to stop easy and you will not (probably) get more than one shot. Better use the rifle or have a tree close. That's the only thing they can't do is climb (lol)

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the input, it has been a crazy few months and haven't been on here. Hunting trip never went through, the girlfriend and her dad own a printing business and with election season, they were terribly busy printing political stuff. It was postponed until this fall. Just when things were really getting good with the relationship, things kinda fell apart. Her daughter decided on her birthday that she loved me, her momma (the girlfriend) woke up that week and decided she didn't anymore. So no more hunting trip, no more relationship, sadly. Soon enough though, I'll find a way to go. Bought a truck, am working to turn it into a sweet outdoors rig, and starting a new job soon. Will be working 8 on 6 off, so that will leave time for a trip every two weeks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom