First vehicle you learned to drive that had a stick shift?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A 1948 Ford 8N was the first stick shift vehicle I learned to drive. The first road vehicle was an ‘80 Ford Fiesta. That thing had just enough power to get me into all kinds of trouble.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Massey Ferguson 35 tractor. If'n you're talking road going vehicles, my first was a '74 Vega with 3 on the floor. Then a '65 Chevy pickup with 3 on the tree ---linkage was so worn out and I got tired of 'fixing' it, so I installed a Hurst floor shifter. Then a '63 Ford pickup with 4 on the floor.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1967 Ford Mustang. My father bought it used and in rough shape for my first car. It came with a straight 6. We worked on that car for 6 months putting it back into mint condition and replaced the engine with a 302. Wish I still had that one.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first experience with gearing was our Long nose 930 Case. and the 63 Ford Hi Lo 4 speed 2 1/2 ton truck when I was 10. Dad had to hose clamp wood blocks to the pedals so I could reach them. I only got to drive it in granny in the alfalfa field while he bucked bales coming off the loader.

Later on when I was 16 I got to drive it loaded full of wheat to the elevator. We were only 6 miles from town but the whole trip took about an hour because I always had to wait in line at the elevator at the scales and at the dump.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Family was big in motorcycles (pronounced motor-sickles) learning a clutch and gears around 8 or 9. Graduated to a late 80's 8000 series Ford 4x4 tractor somewhere around 11 or 12. Took a master course at 14 in those old 40/50's hi/low gearbox wheat trucks.

1997 ford ranger 2.3 gutless wonder. I also learned to drive on it.

On my sixteenth bday, I walked into the local used car dealer and paid cash for a 96 2.4l 5spd ranger Splash. I loved that truck. Figured out with a head swap, 40 inch mt's and 4.56 gears, those little trucks just don't get stuck unless you wade a little too deep into the farm pond. 20 years later, I still miss that truck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom