Fishing and hunting WMA land.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Input please.

Since I have lost the lease I had access to for fishing and hunting, and have no desire to pay the absurd amount of money folks are wanting for leases, per gun, I am left with WMA areas.

I know they can be productive.

Right now I am more interested in fishing these areas. I am located in Ada, so the closest two WMAs to me are Blue river and Lexington.

I see that the Lexington recently rebuilt Dahlgreen. Has anyone fished it lately from the shore?

How about access to the other ponds at lexington, can drive to them or do I park and hick across the WMA?

Thanks for any info.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the decent pond you can get pretty close to my truck. There is another lake on Lexington called Smith lake. I’ve had some good days on it. Overall the fishing can be pretty good at all of the ponds.
Lexington is open for ML but closed for draw hunts.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the decent pond you can get pretty close to my truck. There is another lake on Lexington called Smith lake. I’ve had some good days on it. Overall the fishing can be pretty good at all of the ponds.
Lexington is open for ML but closed for draw hunts.

So as long as you stay on the road, so to speak you are ok to drive if you wanted to.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lexington has a lot to offer but is very pressured, too. The WMA is completely closed during the draw hunts and for good reason. They draw ~150 hunters per day, all with rifles. It'll take a good bit of scouting and you have to play off the other hunter's locations.

It's been a long time since I fished there.

If you're into archery, Thunderbird is an option too.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is correct. I have not fished Dahlgren since it was rebuilt but some of the biggest crappie I have ever caught were in there.

Any pointers on getting some crappie out of there? I haven’t had any luck.

@1shott lexington is relatively close to me as well, I’ve gone there a few times to fish and look for squirrels. I haven’t gone at the best times, and consequently have had very poor luck, but the lake looks great and is easy to get to. The other ponds allow you to get relatively close, but typically have to walk a quarter mile or so to get to them after you park.

I typically end up seeing tons of squirrels as I’m leaving, or they catch me off guard towards the end of my “nature walk”. I haven’t gone after deer there though.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know thank you sir. I hope to get out there in a month or so. Need a new hobby might as well get back into fishing
Also, tishmingo isn’t too far from you. My buddy and I enjoy going down there and fishing from the river and lots of ponds/lakes in the wma/refuge. There’s quite a few campsites that are right up in the river. Lots of hogs if you can find them, saw lots of deer and coyotes last year too. Caught some catfish, carp, and soft shells here and there.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Any pointers on getting some crappie out of there? I haven’t had any luck.

@1shott lexington is relatively close to me as well, I’ve gone there a few times to fish and look for squirrels. I haven’t gone at the best times, and consequently have had very poor luck, but the lake looks great and is easy to get to. The other ponds allow you to get relatively close, but typically have to walk a quarter mile or so to get to them after you park.

I typically end up seeing tons of squirrels as I’m leaving, or they catch me off guard towards the end of my “nature walk”. I haven’t gone after deer there though.
White and chartreuse road runners have always worked for me. I haven’t fished it since it was Dahlgren was redone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom