Fishing and hunting WMA land.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any pointers on getting some crappie out of there? I haven’t had any luck.

@1shott lexington is relatively close to me as well, I’ve gone there a few times to fish and look for squirrels. I haven’t gone at the best times, and consequently have had very poor luck, but the lake looks great and is easy to get to. The other ponds allow you to get relatively close, but typically have to walk a quarter mile or so to get to them after you park.

I typically end up seeing tons of squirrels as I’m leaving, or they catch me off guard towards the end of my “nature walk”. I haven’t gone after deer there though.

What road do I take to get to the lake? Driving past the shooting ranges towards slaughterville road I presume?

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lexington has a lot to offer but is very pressured, too. The WMA is completely closed during the draw hunts and for good reason. They draw ~150 hunters per day, all with rifles. It'll take a good bit of scouting and you have to play off the other hunter's locations.

It's been a long time since I fished there.

If you're into archery, Thunderbird is an option too.

Have not decided on hunting those areas yet. A co worker was telling me about Atoka, I am also looking at blue river and cross timbers for hunting.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What road do I take to get to the lake? Driving past the shooting ranges towards slaughterville road I presume?

you’re going to have to bear with my professional cartography here. The red arrow is the shooting range. If I remember right slaughterville road is the north limit of the WMA. About halfway across the wma on slaughterville road is the main entrance with the ranger station and camping area. If you enter there, and keep left your first few turns you’ll see a sign or two for the lake. This is show on my fancy green line. There’s maybe 2 signs for the lake and 5 unmarked turns, but if you do a little wandering you’ll find it.
43AC7E33-B5A3-4FD5-9DA2-A2D910CDBB05.jpeg

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you’re going to have to bear with my professional cartography here. The red arrow is the shooting range. If I remember right slaughterville road is the north limit of the WMA. About halfway across the wma on slaughterville road is the main entrance with the ranger station and camping area. If you enter there, and keep left your first few turns you’ll see a sign or two for the lake. This is show on my fancy green line. There’s maybe 2 signs for the lake and 5 unmarked turns, but if you do a little wandering you’ll find it. View attachment 189096

LOL ya that about what I was figuring.

I need to take half a day and head up that way soon.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked with a fella years ago who did his deer hunting almost exclusively at Lex. He said the trick there was to get into the woods more than 1/4 mile away from the nearest drivable road. He said most of folks hunting the place were lazy and wouldn't venture far from where they parked. He always brought home deer.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

when you come in the north entrance, off Slaughterville Road, which is the main entrance, you will see the shed where they park equipment on the right. Dalgren is marked on signs. It is a ways down there, nearly to the East end of the property. You can walk in from the East side. 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the key to killing a deer at Lexington is to hunt hard for as many consecutive days as you can. Most that take a deer down there, in my experience, are the ones that camp and hunt literally all day all week long. While I think getting in deep is the general rule, we've killed deer within 300 or 400 yards from main roads.

I think the rifle hunts are a waste of preference points, especially being a one day hunt with 100 other hunters. Bow and muzzleloader are the best bets as long as you have a high tolerance for failure and a LoT of patience. The deer are there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom