Fishing boat electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wanting to upgrade the electronics on my boat and I'm just looking for general advice.
I currently have a tiny 2d sonar at the console and a small 2d/DI unit at the bow.

I've been doing a lot of research, there are so many choices.
I think for now I'd like to go for 2d/DI/SI at the console, and the same at the bow, or maybe no SI at the bow.
I'd like to go with a product line that would allow me to add live sonar to the bow later when I can afford it, so right now that leaves out Hummingbird.

I'd also like to get a spot-lock trolling motor, and I'm not real concerned about integrating it with the finder units.

I'm leaning towards Lowrance EliteFS 9 or Garmin Echomap 9, with a Minn Kota Terrova TM.

Price is a concern, but hopefully I'll be able to go with mid-line products.

@Oklahomabassin could you share what you use?
Anyone else want to chime in?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am kinda 2 years out of date on research. I put in a few months research preparing for a.full upgrade and bit the bullet. Somethings are still the same though.
Trolling motors and fish finders brands that work together.
Hummingbird--MinnKota
Lowrance--Motorguide

Spot lock is extremely handy for what I do and being able to communicate with my Elite 9 display, I can lock on a waypoint on the touchscreen or using remote. My Elite 9 is mounted at my console. I rarely use another fish finder unless watching depth while fishing from the front of the boat. My TM has a built in transducer that I use only when watching depth. I don't even remember what the cheap 4 inch fish finder is up front other than Lowrance.

I hardly ever use down scan or side scan as I know the lakes I routinely fish well enough, I run WTFO to a spot and have a lure in the water within a minute. I don't spend a lot of time watching the screen. I do look at maps to find depth changes and contours that I am looking for to get an idea where to go.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am kinda 2 years out of date on research. I put in a few months research preparing for a.full upgrade and bit the bullet. Somethings are still the same though.
Trolling motors and fish finders brands that work together.
Hummingbird--MinnKota
Lowrance--Motorguide

Spot lock is extremely handy for what I do and being able to communicate with my Elite 9 display, I can lock on a waypoint on the touchscreen or using remote. My Elite 9 is mounted at my console. I rarely use another fish finder unless watching depth while fishing from the front of the boat. My TM has a built in transducer that I use only when watching depth. I don't even remember what the cheap 4 inch fish finder is up front other than Lowrance.

I hardly ever use down scan or side scan as I know the lakes I routinely fish well enough, I run WTFO to a spot and have a lure in the water within a minute. I don't spend a lot of time watching the screen. I do look at maps to find depth changes and contours that I am looking for to get an idea where to go.

Thanks, I think knowing the lakes is a big part of it, right now I feel like a blind man at a Easter egg hunt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m running a Hummingbird 597 HD DI unit on the front with a Lowrance HDS-7 with DI and SI in the rear. Motor guide Pinpoint GPS trolling motor.
I’ve just about talked myself into a Garmin live scope for the front since I like to crappie fish a lot on structure and submerged brush.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m running a Hummingbird 597 HD DI unit on the front with a Lowrance HDS-7 with DI and SI in the rear. Motor guide Pinpoint GPS trolling motor.
I’ve just about talked myself into a Garmin live scope for the front since I like to crappie fish a lot on structure and submerged brush.

thanks Dennis, someone on youtube said he only needs the SI at the console, are you happy with yours that way. Makes sense.
Is your trolling motor networked to either unit? I'm thinking just a remote control might be enough to set the spot lock.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks Dennis, someone on youtube said he only needs the SI at the console, are you happy with yours that way. Makes sense.
Is your trolling motor networked to either unit? I'm thinking just a remote control might be enough to set the spot lock.
I use the DI as much as anything. I have the screen divided into three segments so I can see sonar, DI, and SI at the same time.
With that small of a screen the resolution is not optimal. If I make the entire screen SI, it's much better.
I went with a guide once as a guest that had two 12" Lowrances at the console. One on SI and the other on DI. Man, that resolution was impressive. We were boating around some docks on a lake looking for structure and brush. We found trees attached to the docks with cement blocks to hold them suspended upside down covered in fish.
But when motion stops, the sonar, and DI blurs out. They require motion. That's were the Panoptics shines.
I haven't networked anything although I could. I have a neck pendant and wireless foot pedal for the Motor Guide. Once I used the neck pendant, that foot pedal has never came out of the rod box.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty lazy in my comfort zone with boat electronics. Started out with Humminbird, just kindnof stuck with it. Have a Solix 10 & 12 on board now, great electronics after learning how to use em. Fishing buddy like his lowrance units amd he's effective with em. I like si more than di, but I'm a shore fisher, never tried drop shot or carolina stuff below the boat.

The live scope is really interesting and it certainly made waves across the sport, but seeing the resolution and knowing how fast tech makes leaps and bounds, I would hesitate buying in this early still.

Lowrance makes a fully integrated spot lock troll motor that fully integrates with their electronics. Minn Kota owns Humminbird, their stuff meshes real well too, especially i-pilot. Makes launching solo real easy, hitting gps points effortless too. The fetch process needs to be integrated into my truck so we can load as easy lol.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm running Humminbird Helix G4N DI/SI (10" on the console, 12" on the bow) with an Ultrex iPilot LINK. I really like the flexibility of having DI/SI at both locations. Unlike Dennis, I find myself using the foot pedal more than I thought, as the remote is impractical for boat control while actively casting/retrieving. Spot Lock is my favorite feature, as I can hit the button on the foot control as soon as I hook a fish. It's VERY handy when I have to stop to retie or change lures/bait. I haven't used it yet, but I think terrain following will be nice when I'm slow trolling flats this summer.

Humminbird's MEGA Live Imaging will be out soon, for another $1,500. My equipment is compatible, so I may opt for it once the reviews are in. Dennis is right about the images blurring out once you go stationary.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t heard about hummingbird coming out with a live option. Need to do some research.
I read somewhere that Lowrance pretty much threw in the towel after a couple of attempts to match the Panoptics that has been out 4 years now. The folks that have mastered it are boating some impressive catches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom